Author Topic: Towing a car on trailer  (Read 120 times)

Offline Cpearce

• I own: a Motor Home
  • Year: 1979
  • Make: Winnebago
  • Model: Brave
  • Chassis: Dodge
  • Engine: 440
Towing a car on trailer
« on: November 05, 2019, 11:08 AM »
I am currently in negotiations on a beautifully kept 79 Brave 29 footer.  I've not seen another like it, I thought they were all Chieftains at that length.  The chassis is Dodge and has a 440 with low mileage.  I understand the hitch on these is rated for 200lbs, and trailer weight of 2000lbs.  I was hoping to pull my 16ft 1650lb car hauler with my 3000lb Duster race car on it.  From what I've found, the longer motorhomes have frame extensions, and require reinforcement.  Can any of you folks give me tips or pointers on the ins and outs of these modifications, or if this is safe to do.  Can anyone tell me what chassis designation this unit is?  Thank you.

Offline tmsnyder

• Year: 1976
  • Make: GMC Motorhome
  • Model: Eleganza II
  • Chassis: GMC
  • Engine: 455
Re: Towing a car on trailer
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 08:03 PM »
There is out there a thing called a hitch buddy? or a tow buddy?  Basically it's an extra axle right off your rear bumper that carries the tongue weight of whatever trailer you are pulling. 

I'm thinking that the 200 lb limit you are reading is the tongue weight.   So it's probably rated at 200 lb tongue weight and 2000 lb towing weight.  With the hitch buddy you won't exceed the 200lb tongue weight and I'm thinking it would increase your max towing weight.

If you get one of those, or make one, and reinforce your frame you should be able to make it work.  I don't know the details of frame reinforcement but if it was me I'd be thinking about cleaning up the welds and re-welding as needed, and welding on gusset plates as needed.

Offline Rickf1985

• Year: 1989
  • Make: Winnebago
  • Model: Chieftain
  • Chassis: Chevy
  • Engine: 454
Re: Towing a car on trailer
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 09:05 PM »
It's called a Trailer Toad and it is what I use. There is zero tongue weight but you are still pulling the weight of the trailer so be sure to check to see if you have a welded frame and if you do if it is a good weld job. You do not want to put a lot of tongue weight on the extended rear end of any motorhome even with a good frame since the load is so far back from the axle. It not only leverages the front end up but seriously overloads the rear axle.

FULL Membership!

Want to start enjoyingall the benefitsFull Membership has to offer?

Become a Full

Want to enjoy your

Full Membership

without ever having

to renew?

Become a:

* Salvage Yards

Find
RV Salvage Yards

By STATE

* VIN Decoders

Want to know what your Dodge, Chevy or Ford VIN means?

Dodge VIN Decoder
Chevy VIN Decoder

Ford VIN Decoder

* Resources

Need parts and information?
View the Resource List