Replaced Broken Cold Shower Line

Started by Ericb760, November 01, 2019, 07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ericb760

After replacing the shower faucet and leaving for a few days I came back to find water dripping from my rear wheel well and some soaked carpeting under the kitchen sink. A closer inspection revealed a cracked cold water connecter on the back of the shower faucet. The water was running down the outside of the line to the low point under the sink. It being 8:00PM, my local hardware store was closed. So, a 30 minute drive to town and Home Depot. Of course, they didn't have any actual RV water lines, so I improvised with PEX tubing and SharkBite connectors, which worked flawlessly. In fact, when I have the time, I'm going to redo the entire water system this way.
1989 Winnie Chieftain 28'

yellowrecve

The grey poly-b was discontinued many years ago. Early 90s?  Pex is todays STD. Way back when it was galvinized and copper pipe. That was fun when we had to repair.
RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 48 years.

TerryH

Not that it would help your present situation, but I have a habit of turning off my water at the source whenever I leave - grocery shopping, etc. Even for short periods of time (I do live aboard).
A leak at pressure has the potential of causing a lot of damage even in a short period of time.
As most or our water lines run inside of lower cabinets, where people tend to store items they don't use frequently, the likelihood of noticing the leak diminishes.
Repair difficulty increases.
Clean up of water damage.............................!!
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Ericb760

Quote from: TerryH on November 02, 2019, 01:56 AM
Not that it would help your present situation, but I have a habit of turning off my water at the source whenever I leave - grocery shopping, etc. Even for short periods of time (I do live aboard).
A leak at pressure has the potential of causing a lot of damage even in a short period of time.
As most or our water lines run inside of lower cabinets, where people tend to store items they don't use frequently, the likelihood of noticing the leak diminishes.
Repair difficulty increases.
Clean up of water damage.............................!!

The water was off but the tank was about half full. I don't think I have the capability to turn it "off" any more than that.

Rickf1985

The water tank is under the floor, I can't see how it could be coming out unless the pump was on. Unless your tank is in a weird spot, I am not familiar with your particular model.

Ericb760

Quote from: Rickf1985 on November 02, 2019, 05:49 PM
The water tank is under the floor, I can't see how it could be coming out unless the pump was on. Unless your tank is in a weird spot, I am not familiar with your particular model.

I'm pretty certain that it was just residual water in the line that was leaking.