Heater Question

Started by DeDONRAGE, October 25, 2019, 08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeDONRAGE

Ok,

I have a very noobie question.  I have the 89 Winnebago Warrior.  On the dash it has the knob for rear heat.  When I turn it on it comes out under the main bed.  Which is great.  My question is how does that heater work?  What I mean is that an electric heater with a heating element?  Or is that heater running from the engines coolant?  The reason I ask is if its electric would it be possible modify the wiring to work with the generator.  If its dependent on the engine coolant that that voids my idea. 

The reason Im asking is its about to start getting cold.  I use my RV 3 Days a week.  I really don't want to have to fire up the furnace during these times.  Running generator and propane for a little heat.  I did get a little space heater I plan to use when it gets cooler.

Thanks for any information.

TerryH

Engine coolant. Some like it, some don't. Personally, I removed mine, but that was personal preference. It is very handy should you be travelling in inclement weather. Nothing to do with your generator - running engine only.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

DeDONRAGE

Thank You!!  That answers my question.

Rickf1985

You may find you have a hot water heater that also heats up using the engine coolant while driving. I put a valve in those coolant lines to shut them off unless I need them because of the age of the unit. If one of them breaks the first clue you will have is a couple gallons of steaming hot antifreeze on your rear floor and carpet! Plus, that heater box is hot the whole time the engine is running since it is plumbed into the heater line. In the summer that is just another heat source inside the coach. I did replace the hoses on the hot water heater because it is nice to have instant hot water when you stop for a break or when you get to camp although the gas hot water heater heats up pretty quickly.

Elandan2

I just changed the manual valve on mine to an electric bypass valve controlled from the dash. It is set up to heat the water in the water tank all the time and run thru the space heater when required. I got the valve from Old Air Products. https://www.oldairproducts.com/product/50-1555-heater-valve-kit And yes, a fitting broke on ours a few years ago while driving on I-90 in Wyoming. Thank goodness there was an exit right there!
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Rickf1985

Neat, Pricey but handy. I have to pull my dogbox to get to my valves. I really need to get back there and change all of the hoses and any questionable fittings is what I really need to do. W% W% W%

DeDONRAGE

Nice.  I will have to have a look at that.  Thanks again for the info guys.

skloon

I just found mine was leaking this year- the previous owner had put 3 repairs in about 2 feet of heater hose- it was leaking into an electrical box causing it to overheat and throw the breaker- took me a while to find it as somebody had put a false floor over the pipes too- oddly in my 92 the heater hoses also go into the hot water tank and back

Rickf1985

One note about those hot water heaters that get heated by the engine while driving. Be very careful of the hot water coming out of the faucet!!! Where most water heaters are set to shut off at around 120-130 with the engine coolant at 180 plus you are going to get some REALLY hot water for a while!