New Buyer Old Winnebago:) Questions from Experienced People

Started by Tubbydog12, October 15, 2019, 09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubbydog12

Hello there-

I sold my '93 Foretravel diesel pusher and have fallen in lust with the 1973 range Indians.  There is one for sale close by, a D23 interior in outstanding shape, exterior not too shabby- needs cleaning paint and TLC.  Its not been run for a few years.  Original house equip all works, AC/Fridge lights/pump etc..the owner cranked up the engine with fluid and running line to small gas tank (he says the gas tanks need to be replaced- along with brake job, lines, hoses, tires etc..) Engine has 45K original miles. I would likely need to replace the 5KW generator as well.  He's asking $3,500.00

My questions:

Regarding the frame and construction of these RVs and the engine size to weight ratio.  If well maintained do they last more than 50 years?  If I get her running right and get her road worthy mechanically, will the frame go for a while longer?  I know I'll likely have to replace AC and Fridge over time.  No leaks, roof in good shape- the body is in good shape.  She was kept inside early on then outside the last several years.  I figure I'll have to put $7K-10K into her.  If I do that any reason she won't perform for 5 more years?  Just general stuff on experience with them and how they drive? How do they drive/:). and thank you thank you thank you

JL

LJ-TJ

Well first of all Welcome with out question to the best Classic Winnebago site on the internet. The mantra here is "the only dumb question is the one you don't ask." Chances are there's not a question on the 1969 to 1978  Eyebrow Winnebago that you can ask that can't be answered here. There an amazing group of folks here. The chassis is is build like a brick shoot house. Most if not all chassis parts are still available and if you can't find a part just ask here. The boys have scoured the land fare and wide to find those rare and elusive parts. I own a 1975 21'footer. Had it for Ummmmmm 25+ years and fully expect  to leave it to the son from my estate hopefully in an other 25 years. A bonus is we're now welcome at the Winnebago open house at the factory. If you have any pictures of the rig your looking at we'd sure love to see them. Based on what you've said and without seeing the rig. Realistically it's probably only worth around $2-25 hundred dollars. Maybe check out T.J.s list of Bago's for sale. Anyway Welcome aboard mate. :)ThmbUp

Tubbydog12

RockwoodMike

This is the same model that I am working on..Same original color too!!..The main thing that you must look for is leaks..Water just destroys these things..Look under the dash at the front corners..This leak has nothing to do with the roof..For what ever reason, I have seen cases of this spot letting it all in..And as you see in my rebuild thread, it is not an easy fix..Just look for leaks
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

Tubbydog12

Thank you! Iââ,¬â,,¢ll get more pics up later today

Rickf1985

There are several threads on here from people who bought these and said there were no leaks and then they found out the walls were completely gone but that could not be seen easily from inside or out. Look at the "projects" section of this forum and you will see several right off, including Mikes. That price seems way to high to me for all of the listed deficiencies. The frame will last longer than any of us will but the body is probably already on its way out. The transmission is 46 years old, it will probably need service and I would rebuild it if it were mine. It will be a 727 which is a very strong transmission. Other than that and the engine you listed just about every mechanical item in the drivetrain for repair or replacement.

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Tubbydog12 on October 15, 2019, 09:58 AM

I would likely need to replace the 5KW generator as well.  He's asking $3,500.00

What is the problem with the generator?? That is not a cheap replacement.. Around here(Central California) these things are like hen's teeth!! So to purchase it here is a different story..But for me, I would still pass it over unless it is in the 1500 range..3500 is just a little steep for what you will need to put into it
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

Tubbydog12

The generator is there and it may run after some TLC.  Just that the gent who bought it off his friend hasn't run it and it may not have been run in years.  I was just thinking replace with newer/used perhaps.  Yes the gent things he has a gem on his hands.  I'm waiting on mechanic's estimate to get it road worthy should all those things need attention.  Thank you for the feedback...all helpful.

ClydesdaleKevin

As long as there isn't a lot of dry rot or water damage, 3500 seems like a fair price.  These things, especially in fair condition, just keep going UP UP UP in price!

Generators can usually be repaired, so don't let that stop you.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Tubbydog12

Tubbydog12

Tubbydog12

Elandan2

Hard to tell from just a few pictures, but the interior, especially the ceiling, looks to be in great shape; no sags, no stains. Appears and mind you I say "appears" to be a good starting point. You'll have to give it a good going over before you commit. Like the rest of us crazy people around here, once you're hooked, you're hooked. And we all committed or should be committed, something like that.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

RockwoodMike

If this interior is looking as sharp as I am seeing it..Grab it!! Mine was an absolute basket case..But yours looks NICE!!

tmsnyder

Those generators can almost always be fixed, don't sweat that.

TJ wrote:
"Well first of all Welcome with out question to the best Classic Winnebago site on the internet. "

I disagree, it's hands-down the best vintage RV site on the internet.

I would just give it the sniff test, if it's not too bad (mildew, moisture) then just imo, if that's the year/style you want then I don't think you're going to do better than $3500.  I'd snap it up before someone else grabs it.

tmsnyder

Also, I would caution you against tearing into it with planned 'improvements'.    They are only original once.   I would advise you to just give it a deep cleaning.   Look at that interior!!    Bask in its amazing unapologetic 70s beauty!! 

On the outside start with chrome polish and rubbing compound, then wax or Mop-n-Glow the outside and just run it.   

Under the doghouse, replace all the rubber hoses and belts.  Give it a tune up.   Get a gallon of carb cleaner and a rebuilt kit and go through the carb.   Go thru the brakes.

You'll probably want to put all new tires on it.

Then enjoy it!  Actually enjoy it along the way while you work through your checklist, you can do short shakedown camping trips right in your own town.

Tubbydog12

Understood...that's exactly what I've decided to do! Thank you!

c farmer

Great info here.  You will be happy with it.  I have a '82 but now found out I need to replace the ceiling in the bathroom from a water leak.