How many quarts of oil m400 360-3 2bbl

Started by strange bleu, October 22, 2019, 11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strange bleu

Im going through and changing oil pan and transmission gaskets as well as differential. I can find all the info in the manual except for how many quartz of oil to put into a 79 M400 360-3 2bbl. I may just be blind.  i??

also what type and viscosity do you recommend?

tmsnyder

If it was my older chevy engine I'd be putting in Rotella 15w40 until the dipstick says it's full.  Engine oil preferences are numerous.   You'll likely get a lot of different advise on this.

I don't know the number of quarts, you'd have that number the first time you filled it up though.

Rickf1985

I second the 15W-40 Rotella. It still retains a lot of the additives you need for a flat tappet engine since it is a diesel motor oil. Most gasoline engines take 5 quarts with the filter. Put 5 quarts in it and a new filter on it and check the dip stick before starting, it should show a bit over full. This is due to the empty filter. If it shows low add another quart. Start it up and let it idle till you get pressure and idle it for a minute or so and shut it down, wait a couple minutes and  check again and see where you are at and adjust if needed and then you have your answer.

Rickf1985