Norcold 600 Door Handle Spring Replacement Help - UPDATE

Started by Ericb760, October 19, 2019, 08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ericb760

The springs in my door handle are toast. One broke completely (top), and the bottom one no longer has any tension. I purchased two replacements but I have no idea how to change them out. Has anyone replaced these successfully?
1989 Winnie Chieftain 28'

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Ericb760 on October 19, 2019, 08:01 PM
The springs in my door handle are toast. One broke completely (top), and the bottom one no longer has any tension. I purchased two replacements but I have no idea how to change them out. Has anyone replaced these successfully?

Is your fridge door separate from your freezer door?  I had to replace a broken pin on my fridge door handle, and then couldn't figure out how the spring went back in...until I examined the spring on the freezer door handle.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Ericb760

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on October 19, 2019, 08:27 PM
Is your fridge door separate from your freezer door?  I had to replace a broken pin on my fridge door handle, and then couldn't figure out how the spring went back in...until I examined the spring on the freezer door handle.

Kev

It is a two door model, and it isn't the pin, it's the spring I am trying to replace. How did you remove the handle to replace the pin/spring?

Ericb760

joanfenn

Ericb760

Quote from: joanfenn on October 19, 2019, 11:30 PM
Look what I found, might help you out

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=replacing+spring+in+door+handle+of+norcold+fridge&qpvt=replacing+spring+in+door+handle+of+norcold+fridge&view=detail&mid=D43954D2B656065A6CD4D43954D2B656065A6CD4&&FORM=VRDGAR

LOL! I had actually watched her Norcold fridge videos previously when I was trying to diagnose why my fridge wasn't getting cold. Turns out when it is 120 degrees outside, an RV fridge isn't go to get too cold regardless.

That said, this video at least addresses the problem, but doesn't show the actual procedure. At this point I just figure I will start loosening bolts and it should be evident what I am trying to do.

Ericb760

UPDATE- I tore the door handle apart and found the problem. There are two plastic posts that hold the spring in place and provide tension and one of them had sheared off leaving the door handle just flapping with no tension. Instead of buying a new one I drilled a pilot hole in the center of where the post had been. I then placed a small screw in the hole. Worked perfectly! The door handle has tension again.