Pressure washing engine Q- about Electric Ignition

Started by strange bleu, October 18, 2019, 03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strange bleu

Should I remove the Electronic ignition before pressure washing engine? or can I just wrap it up with some plastic to keep from getting wet. I feel like I need to avoid getting it wet at all.

BamBam

Just don't bomb if at all possible, it's going to get wet either way you just don't want to overdo it on sensitive components. I all my years of doing car wash pressure cleans under the hood, I've never had a problem killing components. Good Luck

c farmer

I agree, just try to stay away from the electronics.  Wont hurt if they get wet just not soaked.

Rickf1985

Just remember that the rubber boot on the plug is probably no longer actually doing its job so water is going to get in there. I would take the plug off and put dielectric grease on the plug just for general good principle before you wash it. That dielectric grease will also prevent corrosion so it is a good thing for long term problem prevention. And putting a bag over it is not a bad idea. Once you are done you will want to pop off the distributor cap to make sure nothing got in there and keep a can of WD-40 in the vehicle. If water gets inside the distributor but hides under the plate it will steam up later in use and condense on the bottom of the cap and you will start to lose cylinders as you drive down the road. WD-40 sprayed in the cap will take care of that. In case you never knew it the WD in the name stands for "water displacing".