Shopping, critique this

Started by BamBam, October 08, 2019, 05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BamBam

I looked at a 88 Tiffin Allegro 28' today. New 454 motor w/5K on it, here's the good and bad.
The GOOD-
New motor - fired up quick & quite running. Old motor was oil starved and cooked it at 100K
Has all manuals & maint. receipts
Everything works
Has 2 Furnaces that work - never heard of that?
No Leaks found above or below
New H2O pump
100 gal H2O
100 gal Gas
75 gal Grey
75 gal Black
New coach batt
2- 6 Y.O house batt's that still hold charge
Smog & Plates good till 03/20

The BAD-
Needs 6 tires- 1 inner rear tire has a goiter on it. I Did not test drive it!
Front Airbags shot
Rear bags questionable but not cracked up like the fronts
The Fridge is Nasty inside even though he says it works
Gas gage Inop- Not sure if it's gage, electrical, or other?
Onan 4.5K Gen - He said it wouldn't start but it did start and ran for about 4 minutes before he killed it. Extremely loud, even with door closed. Exhaust looks good from what I could see. Looks dirty somewhat neglected and in need of service. 765 hours
He recently replaced it with a 03 Bounder, 35 footer so he lookin to move this one, it's been on the market over 6 months now. It didn't even move for Burnin Man. Only had 3 lookers, Asking 6K
I'm thinkin of asking 4K because of tires and work up from there. I won't go over 5K
Thoughts & discuss.

Froggy1936

Sounds very good especially if you win the bidding battle , Good thing about needing tires , You know exactly how old the new ones are ,  Frank  P.S. Why no pics ?
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

I see a few red flags. Keep in mind I do not have a Tiffen but they are still on a P30 chassis and there is only so much room on that chassis. 100 gallons of water? 100 gallons of gas? and 75 each of grey and black? I have never seen a 26 footer with that kind of capacity. My 31 footer has 55 gallons of water and 80 gallons of gas and 30 and 20 on the grey and black respectively. The black is always smaller than the grey. I think this guy is feeding you a whole bunch of lines to try to get you to buy this thing. Also, the transmission has 105 grand on it from what you are saying and the transmission takes a beating on these big beasts. I would not depend on that lasting to long. If you can get hold of Tina from on here she has a Tiffen but I am positive those figures are way off. And what is with the two furnaces? I have never seen an RV with two furnaces. something really fishy with this one.

ClydesdaleKevin

I would say, take it on a test drive and see how it shifts.  If there aren't any roof leaks or water damage, it is worth the 5K you are willing to spend on it.  You can check the owner's honesty by measuring the holding tanks and doing a little math.  Somewhere on here is a tool you can use to figure out tank capacity based on dimensions.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

BamBam

After a couple cocktails and some collective thoughtful conversation with myself last night, I've decided to take a pass on it. I don't want to be sinkin extra coin on something that I don't need to on top of initial costs!
He just said that the gas gage is stuck, how so is my question? I don't want to be fiddle fartin around with the dash and or fuel system to get the gage to work, esp. if I have to drop the tank and mess with the sending unit!
Next up will be a 92 Jayco class C.

Rickf1985

If the Jayco has a window on the front of the overhead bunk check inside very carefully for leaks and also look at the edges of the cab overhang for any signs of water damage from water leaking out from inside at that joint. Front windows are a major leak point in older Class C's and pick up slide in's.

BamBam

I've heard and read about that, that's one area I nit pick to death in looking for water damage.