North Carolina, 2019

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, September 30, 2019, 07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

VICTORY!!!  When I went to start the RV this morning, it was pretty cold out (around 40 degrees).  I turned the key and vrum vrum vrum vrum GROWL!!!  Engine started right up...and MAN did the starter turn over the engine WAY faster than before!  So far so good!  Looks like it was just an old and weak underpowered battery!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

And now it is raining, and is supposed to rain in the morning.  It is a good thing I just installed new wiper blades!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on November 29, 2019, 08:37 PM
To find that grid heater go to the top of the engine and find the intake manifold. Now find the air hose coming into it. The heaters should be somewhere right at the beginning of the metal part of the manifold after the rubber hose connection. You will be looking for some 4-6 gauge wires going to the manifold. The heaters are in the intake manifold somewhere and I have never seen them anywhere else but at the beginning. Like I said before, if it is blowing out a lot of white smoke right after it starts that is a sign that it needs intake heat or glow plugs and the Cummins do not use glows.

It started right up this morning and only a puff of white smoke when it first started.

Thanks for guiding me in the right direction Rick!  Have an awesome Christmas my friend!

Kev

Rickf1985

I would still track down the heater and get it squared away, If you find yourself in 20 degree weather some day you will be grinding on that starter and battery.

ClydesdaleKevin

So far so good, and its been starting right up!

And thus endeth this chapter!

I'm starting a new thread now, Winter Vacation, 2019-20

Kev