Mike's 1973 D22 Complete tear out. From the Roof down!

Started by RockwoodMike, September 25, 2019, 11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eXodus and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

RockwoodMike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuo2EFKfJ58
A video on installing those plugs..That looks like an instant fire hazard

quote author=yellowrecve link=topic=15119.msg94573#msg94573 date=1572575988]
You can not get a good ground going through wood and steel. The bolt will lose it's tightness because of the give in the wood. Find a spot clamping only metal or weld a tab onto a frame member. Your doing a nice job.

Yes I didn't even think of that with the wood..I sure would like to get it out of the area that you can't even reach into..needs to be solid mounted
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: RockwoodMike on October 31, 2019, 10:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuo2EFKfJ58
A video on installing those plugs..That looks like an instant fire hazard

quote author=yellowrecve link=topic=15119.msg94573#msg94573 date=1572575988]
You can not get a good ground going through wood and steel. The bolt will lose it's tightness because of the give in the wood. Find a spot clamping only metal or weld a tab onto a frame member. Your doing a nice job.

Yes I didn't even think of that with the wood..I sure would like to get it out of the area that you can't even reach into..needs to be solid mounted

You could bring the bolts down through the wood and then down through the 2x2 steel...and then weld the bolt head to the 2x2.  Problem solved, permanently.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Elandan2

You could use a bushing through the floor for the bolts to go through. That way the grounds would still be inside, but effectively bolted directly to the steel frame.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

RockwoodMike

Everyone with a good idea on how to do this..This is what I came up with..And it had to do with what I had laying around here in regards to steel and stuff..1/4 inch plate..Holes drilled to mount the ground bar..5/16 bolts and locking nuts..Cut a slot in the wood to let it drop down to the frame floor support..Clean it all up and weld it!!
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

STOP IT!! Don't laugh!! I am not a welder and never played one on TV :-[ ..I got the penetration of the steel but it is far from pretty..STOP LAUGHING!! :)rotflmao ..It worked and it is a lot better than what was being used for sure..And you can check on it to be sure all is tight with the wires

RockwoodMike

Now where was I before I was so rudely interrupted with this ground bar..Oh Yea!! The back wall...Tomorrow

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao  Where not laughing at you. Were laughing with you. Cause that looks like about what the rest of us do. Looks pretty good to me. As we all know it's all about the penetration. D:oH! Did I just say that.

Rickf1985

The welding um, err, welllll, ................................................... Kinda needs a little practice. W% W% :D

tmsnyder

We know you did it for originality's sake.  I believe Rick has noted that the Winnie's had some pretty poor welds on the frame extensions.

Someone's going to find that in 50 years and say 'this must be an original weld!'

tmsnyder

Quote from: LJ-TJ on November 01, 2019, 11:06 PM
:)rotflmao  Where not laughing at you. Were laughing with you. Cause that looks like about what the rest of us do. Looks pretty good to me. As we all know it's all about the penetration. D:oH! Did I just say that.

Equipment helps too.   Anyone ever stick weld with a Lincoln IdealArc 250?   The old round-top one?   I saw one at an estate sale and remembered my dad said he always wanted one.   He always had the AC-225 buzz box when I was growing up.  The difference is about 300lb, there's a lift hook on the top of the IdealArc.  Anyway, I called him and asked him if he wanted it and he said 'try it out and if it works buy it'.   I went in the garage and threw a piece of scrap steel on the table, pulled a stick out of a decrepit looking can, guessed at a setting, struck the tip of the rod on the piece and was greeted by the smoothest sounding arc laying down the most beautiful weld I think I ever did.   I bought the welder and about 100 lb of 7011 rod in sealed tins for $100.   The hardest part was telling my dad I was keeping it for a little while.   I eventually gave it to him a year or so later after I used it to repair my buddy's dump trailer which was a basket case, for his wedding present. 

Another year went by and I was talking to dad and he was telling about welding something up with the AC-225, I said why not the IdealArc, and he said oh-yeah, I should try that.  Next day he said 'holy cow, that's some welder! should have been using that all along!'

Long story short, you can weld with some welders (HF for instance) but all welders are not made equal, it can make a big difference.   Some just put a smile on your face!

RockwoodMike

I just came in with the camera..Bunch of pictures to show..Originally the coach didn't have anything holding the corners together on this back wall..Can't because all there was foam down the length of the corner..So the only thing holding it together was the wrapping of the aluminum skin over each other and staples into the 1x2 that was there..I will be fixing that..

RockwoodMike

I think those welders were called tombstone welder..looking like something in a cemetery..I have only used (barely) a Mig welder for anything I have ever done..But it really doesn't matter as it (that weld) is covered up with my FRESHLY INSTALLED WALL!!!!!!!!!!.. Just glued the top edge and slid it right up to fit with the foam that is at the top of the curve..Those screws with the big flat head worked Great!!..This wall is like a block concrete house!!

RockwoodMike

Used a couple of 2x3 to clamp the glue down to the skin..Clamps and a screw at each end held it tight..Reach up and add more glue and another 2x3..Just slowly iron it down..

RockwoodMike

I think I am done with the remnants of the old wall..I cut it up and currently it is burning in my fireplace!! :)clap

Rickf1985

Mike, I was just busting on you about the weld. You did not exactly have optimum conditions there and you had said before you were not a welder. If it were structural I would have ranted but this was fine for what you needed. I have not really said anything up to now about weight but this thing is going to be heavy! It will definitely be solid!! But you are going to want to put it on the scales and see where it is once you are done so you know if you need to make suspension upgrades. The GVWR was pretty much a farce on any RV and especially when slide in campers were involved since they all lied on the weights. Any of these were overweight as soon as you filled the water tank and installed the occupants. You just want to be sure that you are safe that's all. I guarantee that it will not fall apart in a crash like the originals did!

Rickf1985

Quote from: tmsnyder on November 02, 2019, 08:50 PM

Equipment helps too.   Anyone ever stick weld with a Lincoln IdealArc 250?   The old round-top one?   I saw one at an estate sale and remembered my dad said he always wanted one.   He always had the AC-225 buzz box when I was growing up.  The difference is about 300lb, there's a lift hook on the top of the IdealArc.  Anyway, I called him and asked him if he wanted it and he said 'try it out and if it works buy it'.   I went in the garage and threw a piece of scrap steel on the table, pulled a stick out of a decrepit looking can, guessed at a setting, struck the tip of the rod on the piece and was greeted by the smoothest sounding arc laying down the most beautiful weld I think I ever did.   I bought the welder and about 100 lb of 7011 rod in sealed tins for $100.   The hardest part was telling my dad I was keeping it for a little while.   I eventually gave it to him a year or so later after I used it to repair my buddy's dump trailer which was a basket case, for his wedding present. 

Another year went by and I was talking to dad and he was telling about welding something up with the AC-225, I said why not the IdealArc, and he said oh-yeah, I should try that.  Next day he said 'holy cow, that's some welder! should have been using that all along!'

Long story short, you can weld with some welders (HF for instance) but all welders are not made equal, it can make a big difference.   Some just put a smile on your face!

And if you see one of those tombstone welders and you want to buy it be SURE it is one of the OLD ones and not the newer ones from Home Depot and such. World of difference in weld quality. The old ones weight about 150-200 lbs. the new ones are half that much. That weight difference is in the transformer and means a lot more stable and consistent arc.

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Rickf1985 on November 03, 2019, 09:30 AM
I have not really said anything up to now about weight but this thing is going to be heavy! It will definitely be solid!! But you are going to want to put it on the scales and see where it is once you are done so you know if you need to make suspension upgrades. The GVWR was pretty much a farce on any RV and especially when slide in campers were involved since they all lied on the weights.
I really don't think I have added that much weight to this..I think that I am about even..First there was 2 36 gallon water tanks on it at about 55 pounds each..Being replaced with a new plastic tank...There was 2 layers of carpet..gone..I was thinking of vinyl for the floors..There was these asbestos tiles laid in the rear area..Heavy!!  As for the roof, I showed that the original was only  a little lighter than the roof I installed..That original  roof was a failure when it was brand new..Making it flat like that with a 250 pound AC up there..It sagged from the beginning..Screwing things together in to foam was silly..No wonder it rotted so fast..Corners and structural integrity being relied upon with foam ...Really??..Yes I have added wood where there wasn't any before..But I don't think I am loading it down..Off sets from weight saving in other places 

LJ-TJ

Hey Mr to a certain degree I did the same thing as your doing back in the day. You doing :)ThmbUp  it bag on and I would change a thing. Keep it up.. Your doing fantastic. I have to check in a few times a day to be sure I don't miss anything. Thanks for taking the time to post. Especially with a project this size.

Rickf1985

I would do it exactly the same way as you (if I had the smarts working with wood that you do). Just pointing out it would be a good idea to scale it when done.

RockwoodMike

Time for the starboard wall lower half to come off..The aluminum trim piece that goes on the bottom of the skirt is missing..Thus all the wood confetti fell out on the road..So there wasn't the usual amount of wood scrap falling on the ground..I stilt the ceiling up with 2x3s and pocket hole screws to keep them in place..With the change of daylight saving time and the days just getting shorter, it might take longer to get things done..I will try to drop the wall off tomorrow

RockwoodMike

Just click on this link in picture 1 and then scroll down to this section on selling things..I wish you weren't so far away!!!

RockwoodMike

After breaking the glue line open..the seam..it pretty much just slipped off the joint and set on the sawhorses..Thing weighs about 60-70 pounds

RockwoodMike

Here it is on the ground..I will set up some moving blankets on the concrete and lay it on those..Then start rebuilding!!
Don't worry people..I have this way under control.. ???

LJ-TJ

D:oH! :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)clap Your Nuts ;)  Your doing a great job.

Rickf1985