1979 Winnebago Minnie Winnie W24RH named "Betsy"

Started by Mlw, November 08, 2021, 12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mlw

Oh trust me, we have Rednecks in Europe too with YouTube channels to destroy every type of vehicle they can get their hands on, and but I must say, the reactions to these kind of videos are utterly hilarious!! And yes, I think the chances to find a 360 are considerably higher in the southern states.

https://www.youtube.com/@mastermilo82/videos

I arranged transportation for the engine to be brought to the machine-shop next week so let's just hope they have some good news for me. Seeing the state of the interior of the cabin I do think the miles on the speedo 58703 are correct and that it's not 158703. That should still count for something even though the previous idiot was a moron first class.

On the other hand I also saw Mikes post and his wish to put another cam in it, but that one looks A LOT like the one I have in my 360. Next to it there's a four barrel Thermoquad (and of course a 4 barrel intake) which isn't stock on a 360. As this RV comes from the Bavarian mountains (Schwarzwald) I do understand the wish from some more power.

So fingers crossed or else I guess I have to plan a trip to the southern states of the USA.

Eyez Open

Ohh its just not rednecks...although that ingenuity can be quite extraordinary..at times. It crosses all walks of life. Below is a thread that is full of possibites...lol

https://www.chevelles.com/threads/relocate-alternator-to-passenger-side-with-and-without-power-steering.1171172/

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Mlw on December 01, 2023, 09:22 AMYes, as soon as Betsy moves again, I'll overhaul the complete transmission. As I've opened up a lot of outboard tails at the yacht broker, I know how this oil should smell and it brought back memories and had good color. That's the whole problem with this project. Or things are very good, or they are very bad.

There is a teardown and rebuild multi video series that looks good..for the 727

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgdpfLnprYc

I am on the 4th video..This transmission is pretty simple to rebuild..
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

Mlw

QuoteOhh its just not rednecks...although that ingenuity can be quite extraordinary..at times.

Oh absolutely. The guys in the example are also building things completely out of the box that's highly impressive.  and there's also nothing wrong with a little fun at a demolition derby when cars are beyond repair, But destroying things just to destroy, that's something that just doesn't go well with me.

@RockwoodMike,

Thanks for the vido's. I have something to watch again 😊😊😊

The engine is brought to the machine shop. Fingers crossed for good news.

RockwoodMike

The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

Mlw

Well, here we are again. Thanks to my deadbeat colleague, no time for my Betsy. I did get some news about the engine however, and it's not good. The crack in the head is unrepairable. There is a 95% chance of the repair to break again because it's right next to a cooling channel.

Just another problem to add to the list. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

RockwoodMike

I was going to hit the "Like" button , but there isn't anything to like!!  :angry:

These engines are becoming rare..And to find one as a core..good luck..even over here in California, when you walk into a Picka Part wrecking yard, all you will find is later 2000-2010 cars..

Eyez Open

What are the VAT values on used heads? Labeled boat anchors of course.

Mlw

Yes, I don't know how it is in America, but here scrapyards are forced to scrap everything before 2002.

so it probably will become a Magnum, but then of course there are other challenges and then i'm thinking about to change the transmission as well to an A518 then I will have overdrive as well.

Mlw

Well, Exactly one month further a small miracle happened.

I found myself a replacement 1978 Dodge 360 La-3 Heavy duty engine, completely rebuild.

I thought what the heck, I'm throwing it on the internet that I'm looking for this engine and somebody replied. Who says Miracles don't happen anymore?

The engine was build in an 1979 W-300 Dodge Crewcab Pick up. He replaced it for a 440 and rebuild the 360 to sell it to decrease the costs for the 440.

Elandan2

Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Mlw on March 18, 2024, 05:44 AMI found myself a replacement 1978 Dodge 360 La-3 Heavy duty engine, completely rebuild.

That is great news!! I think I would pull the pan off and valve covers and take a look inside..

Maybe pull a rod and main cap off to look at the bearings..Trust the guy that he actually rebuilt it but verify it..

Eyez Open

Damm Mlw..one couldn't make that up! Extraordinary determination mixed with extraordinary luck. :)clap