How to re-commission GMC 6.2L Diesel in 1982 Winne Brave

Started by Axle, March 20, 2022, 11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axle

I have a friend who has a chance at a free 1982 Winne Brave with a GMC 6.2L diesel.
Vehicle has been parked for 20 years.
We are supposed to take a first look in a couple weeks. Vehicle is 2.5 hours away so not easy to pop over and look at things.
He wants to determine if the body and interior are worthy first, then deal with the engine.
-Is there anything that can be done/should be done to this before any attempt to turn it over happens?
Back to the old tractor days, people would pull plugs and dump in Marvel's Mystery oil and leave it sit until curiosity overcame them.
I have owned a 6.2 diesel but never had to take t of mothballs...
Thanks!
PS We do not have a local mechanic contact..maybe develop that first?

Mlw

Axle

That was hilarious, I learned several new names for common parts, thanks! :)

Mlw

Yes the man is very influential in learning new names for common parts  :D, I definetely could drink a few beers with him and wake up the next morning with a bellyache from laughing.

I actually learned a lot from him (despite his intro) an solved a lot of issues in my RV thanks to him. Imaging the look on my wifes face when she ones asked, "What are you watching"?

"I'm watching a man washing his car" It's priceless.

Axle

New development:
Rig was given new tires and drove to an event in 2015 so the 'sitting idle' factor is much less.
It also lives under an overhang.
I am more hopeful for an easier time recommissioning the motor.
Buddy is still being cautious and will probably want to change and soak and poke and prod more that I would before turning the key.

Mlw

Well the most important thing is to turn over the engine by hand. Derek didn't do that in the video because there was not enough room to maneuver, but in almost all other video's he made you'll see him do that first, and not for the reason those are petrol engines.

But remember, Diesels have far higher compression so turning the engine over takes some force but it shouldn't be necessary to strain your back. But as you say the engine has last been used in 2015 I'm not to worried especially as it also has been given fresh fluids. Diesels are tougher then petrol engines. Also hearing the RV was standing somewhat protected I think you could be a very lucky guy.

You saw how derek did it, just go the same way, but be gentle with her. Throwing parts at it without really knowing if it runs and moves can just be wasting money. Also make sure that you have "huffing gas" (starter fluid)  with you, because if there are glowplugs in it and they don't function you are going to have a hell of a task starting it. Brake fluid (in a spray can) will do the same thing.

Good to hear the RV is given new tires, but standing still for 7 years will not be good for the quality of the tires. check them for dry rot and cracks.

What a project, good luck, keep us posted. And pictures... We love pictures :) :)ThmbUp

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Axle

Diesel Day is fast approaching!
Ordered in a set of filters: air, oil, fuel (primary and secondary). Makiing a list of tools, batteries, fluids, and automotive 'secret sauces' to take along for the work session. Mice ate holes in the driver's seat so I am bringing some seat covers and a little upholstery foam.

Buddy is feeling more confident too.

Turning over by hand: would that be back out the injectors, give the obligatory shot of Marvel's per cylinder, and big wrench on the crank nut? I hear glow plugs swell and break off sometimes so we want to save that for his yard back home. It sounds like we will have AC power and a truck to ease it out of the shed for better access before launch.

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated!

More pictures when on site, a couple teasers for now...

Mlw

Well the cranking by hand is just to see the engine moves. When you can do it by hand, a starter certainly can, that's the idea. But when you would use the starter with a ceased engine you could end up feeling very sorry you did that.

By turning over by hand (yes big wrench on the crank nut and the more handle the more lever) you really can't do much harm.

Underneath a video with a free engine so you'll get the idea what kind of force is needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiYiv5p48_g

Axle

Thanks. So do you think we'll be able to 'armstrong' it without releasing compression?

Here is what I am hoping for...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjpx2WjqD5A

Mlw

Yes, if it does move you can put the mystery oil in if you like when you think it's way to heavy . It doesn't hurt. Then do a whole full turn so you can feel what's happening.

I must say we never used it in the past but seeing this video that came by coincidentally, you at least are protecting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajx0JD-caBA

As you said it was stored under an overhang and has run in 2015 so I think you'll have a very good shot it will be going as in the video.

One thing i forgot to mention, if it's possible and you do want to start her up there, I'd advise you to use a jerrycan or boat tank with fresh diesel. Fuelfilters do help but don't stop everything.

Derek didn't do that in the video but you saw what happened (smoking up the place terribly). You have to keep in mind that he doesn't mind if it goes wrong and digging in motors is his daily business so has the mechanical skills to fix it. Better safe then sorry.

Axle

Epilogue-

We never tried getting it started. Mice damage inside and 4 stuck wheels. Spent the first day working on freeing the wheels, hoping to pull it into the sun and breeze when previous owner mentioned that the roof on this model  'sometimes leak'.  The second morning we tried rid the interior of obviously mice-damaged materials, droppings, and related odors to better consider the project when I saw the missing vinyl and re-painted ceiling panels and water marks...checked the outside as well to see splits in the roof seams and a layer of racoon droppings. We did the time/dollar math with my buddy and to get it where he'd be comfortable sleeping in it and camping with it would have been way more than the street value of something similar. He collected his tools the next day.

Thanks for the tips. If anything it gave me a little more hope for my vintage rig.

Mlw

Shame that it didn't work out but that's how it goes sometimes.

Oz

So, are you selling it or going to keep working on it?
Hm?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca