Metal Decay Can it be salvaged?

Started by GirlandWinne, September 16, 2019, 10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GirlandWinne

I am really hoping to reuse the sheet metal on my 1974 D19 Winnie.  When we removed the metal it is in worse shape that I thought.  Most of the decay was covered up however, when removed you can see all the large holes and pin holes.  Has anyone successfully repaired? or patched in new metal?  Most of the decay is at the bottom.  I was thinking a new panel could be created for the bottom and the trim piece placed to hide the new seam?  Any comments or guidance is welcome!  Otherwise I'm looking at purchasing new sheet metal for both sides of my rig.  Any suggestions on where to get new metal for the sides is also welcome!!!  Thanks in advance!  Here are some pics of the decay. 

GirlandWinne

Rickf1985

Obviously you are dead set on refurbishing this unit regardless of the advise given about the costs you have ahead of you so I will answer you on this. Yes, you can replace the metal of coarse. There is even a company out there that can match the pattern on of the bends.  It is aluminum and it will be far from cheap! Then you get a transition strip and butyl tape or in this case I would use marine 5600 adhesive under the strip. I do not have the name of the company but they have been featured on several forums so if you look at some of the antique trailer forums you should find them. I will look through my files and see if I can find them but I am working outside while we have some rare good weather today.

Rickf1985

tmsnyder

Got to give them credit for 'stick-to-it-ness'  I would have ran away from that project!

BrandonMc

I had parked my rv next to one of yours in Colorado for long term storage. Its too bad, but the roof is pulling apart and its starting to rot in place. However, because we're relatively dry here - I believe you could possibly salvage a lot of parts from it still. I can't imagine someone just paying to let something sit there and rot, but it happens. The unbelievable part is up to a couple years ago, it could have been restored relatively on the easy, but with the roof pulling off for some reason, it's likely a lost cause. 

I'd give you the location of the yard and number if you're interested.

GirlandWinne

Rick, Thank you so much for the websites! I will check into those and some local places today!!!  I'll post what my findings are!
Brandon, To far away for me to travel but thank you! I'm in KY.

GirlandWinne

WOW.... the All-Rite site has a catalog of everything you would ever need to rebuild a winnie.  Down to custom tanks, window screens, even tapes and adhesives.  Now the trick is going to be measuring the metal to get the correct thing and the correct quote.  There have a guide in the catalog.  I will post more once I get farther along because I'm sure it would be super helpful for others to know these measurements if they would ever have to replace the metal on a wall!!!

GirlandWinne

There are a few pin holes that need to be patched on the front metal of this old girl.  Any advice on a product that's best for patching this?

BrandonMc

Quote from: GirlandWinne on September 17, 2019, 04:15 PM
There are a few pin holes that need to be patched on the front metal of this old girl.  Any advice on a product that's best for patching this?

sand/grind it to bare metal without rust, weld/fill the gap, and sand the weld. then paint.  Bondo is also another choice

BrandonMc

Quote from: GirlandWinne on September 17, 2019, 12:56 PM
Rick, Thank you so much for the websites! I will check into those and some local places today!!!  I'll post what my findings are!
Brandon, To far away for me to travel but thank you! I'm in KY.

after taking a look at the picture in your other thread - you're better off picking up the one I was talking about in CO and restoring it instead. This thing is a POS, no offence.

Elandan2

I used an "aluminum epoxy stick" on pinholes over 20 years ago and other than needing to be painted again, they are still filled.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck