Anyone sat in these captains chairs?

Started by tmsnyder, September 12, 2019, 10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsnyder

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on one seat from Discount RV Furniture of Los Angeles.  http://www.discountvantruck.com/rvhighbackcaptainsseats/motorhomefurnituresedona-HR.htm

Thoughts are of getting one to see how it is, and if it's good, get the second one.

My past experience with Honda Odyssey seats was just ok.  They weren't super comfortable after a couple hours, to me anyway. 

I can't find any reviews of these chairs though.   Has anyone sat in one, or even heard of them?   They are brand new, American made seats for about 1/2 the price of Flexsteel.  It's still a pretty good chunk of change though, anybody heard of them?

legomybago

Send me one, and I'll trial it for you? I don't like white though....
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

The only problem I see is that they are advertised as "High resilience FOAM chairs" but then they say in the description that they use four full length springs. Most of the seats that use memory foam do not use springs I don't think. Then again in my pay grade I don't exactly get to sit in too many high end captains chairs to be much of a judge of comfort! :)rotflmao  I spent most of my life wedged into a racing seat and anyone who has raced dirt cars or SCCA will know padding is minimal at best in those. I do know that the VERY plush Flexsteel seats in my Winnebago are fantastic for the first couple hours but then they kind of start to feel like that hospital gurney in the emergency room they leave you on for hours and hours. My Goldwing motorcycle seat is the same way, super soft and plush but after a couple hours you get that sweaty feeling and you can't move around. The first bike I rode with a harder foam seat I said when I first got on it "man, this is gonna be a long uncomfortable ride" but two hours in it was great. The newer materials conform to your butt and if you move they reconform.

ClydesdaleKevin

Nice looking chairs, and they look comfortable.  Pricey though!  Have you looked around RV junkyards though or contacted places like Arizona RV Salvage for price quotes?  You might be able to find similar seats from a high end coach for a fraction of the price for the pair.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

tmsnyder

Here's a pair of used seats for $1700:  https://usedrvparts.visonerv.com/cgi-bin/md/M11683/s1.pl

These are $2000 for the pair:  [size=78%]https://rvfurniture.visonerv.com/cgi-bin/md/M400533/s1.pl?[/size]

I'll email AZ RV salvage and see what they say, but if it's more than 1000 for a pair I'll just get new seats.

Rickf1985

Yea, that Visone RV place is a joke! They wanted new prices for a set of 30 year old mirrors for my Winnebago!! I saw a video someone made of that place, I is no wonder they have hundreds of RV's falling off of hillsides with prices like that. They are only catering to insurance companies.

Rickf1985

Something else to think about is the seat belts. Both of those seats you show the belts are part of the seat. I have to wonder just how safe that is give the very small footprint of the mounting plate. Do you know what kind of force is applied to the belts in a collision? It is massive. I have seen belts in a Dodge van pulled partially out of the floor on the drivers side from a head on collision! This was stock mounting in the floor!!!! This was one of the vans in the fleet I was in charge of. The driver was not severely injured but he had just had open heart surgery a few weeks prior so he did get beat up pretty bad. I cannot imagine that small footprint and four bolts holding that very heavy seat and a 200 lb. person in place in an accident. Granted, a head on in an older RV it probably will not matter but hey..........................

tmsnyder

My factory seats in the GMC have no belts built into them. The lap belts are bolted to the floor.  Kind of a funny arrangement where it spools out from each side, instead of one side with the other side fixed.

I wasn't planning to switch over to belts built into the seat, you are right, the seat mount was not designed to withstand the seat belt force in my motorhome.  Those are bolted into the floor.   I assume (and we know what that means) that the seatbelt mounts were designed properly.  But who knows?

Definitely something to consider when I get seats.

BrandonMc

likely, I'll try and reupholster mine myself one of these days. If I do, I'll take measurements and post them up here and see where it all goes. Have NOT been able to find a proper cover sold online at all.

ClydesdaleKevin

Well heck!  I forgot you were in the Buffalo, NY area!  If you don't mind taking a day trip, take a drive to Madison, Ohio (not far from Erie, PA) and go to Sands RV.

They have a BUNCH of RV captains chairs in stock, along with other RV furniture and just about anything else you could possibly need for a vintage RV...CHEAP!!!  Before the Holiday Rambler died, I was planning on buying a pair of brand new blue cloth Flexsteel seats...550.00 for the pair.

Call first though...they have weird hours and days when they are open.

http://www.sandsrv.com/   440-428-5131

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

LJ-TJ

Yep! I know Bob a you won't find a finer person to do business with. He has some great deals at very affordable prices. You name it and he's probably got it stashed some were. If you do go and do remember. Tell him the Canadians sent yeah. It's worth the trip. :)ThmbUp

tmsnyder

I've got one coming from LA company I posted about.  Actually ordered the passenger side, the boss wanted the lumbar support but passed on the heater, built in massager and leg rest.  About $850 for the seat delivered and it's about a 4 month lead time.   I'm going to install it on the driver side and see how it is, move it to the passenger side and get another one if it works out ok. 

I have an issue with my right leg where I get shooting pains down my leg (sciatic nerve maybe?) and another issue where my kneecap feels like it's on fire after a while, especially in stop and go traffic.   After sitting in pain for many hours of driving, I decided that this is one area where I may have to spend some money.  I need a good seat, and I need the cruise control to work.  Otherwise I'm limited to about 2 hours of driving and that makes it hard to go very far on a trip, especially since breaks don't seem to reset the pain, it just comes back sooner after sitting and driving again.   

Actually I'm still sort of skimping, Flexsteel wants something like $1600 for a similar seat.  We'll see how it goes, I may still end up with a Flexsteel or even better one meant for a tractor trailer.

Rickf1985

Get a set of air rides from a truck in a yard. You already have air but I would use a separate compressor and tank so as to not overload the stock one.

tmsnyder

Ok so I ordered one and it came in a month.  Pretty darn comfortable seat.   $820 to my door.  I know, it's a lot of money but about 1/2 of a flexsteel seat.  I did the Honda Odysee seat one time and it wasn't enough cushion, too firm. 

I'll get it installed eventually and see how it is in the coach.  I actually thought it would be bigger than it is, so I'm not worried about it being able to turn around and face backward anymore.  The photos make it look like a lazyboy but it's about the same size as the stock GMC seats, but way more comfortable and the back reclines, unlike the GMC.

I ordered Mocha with Putty accent colors, in leather, thinking it would be more brown but apparently Mocha is more of a grey color, oh well, it's still pretty neutral.  Should have had them send me swatch samples before ordering.

legomybago

You'll love that fancy seat. I have a leather Flexsteel in my new FMC that someone put in... pretty cozy. I don't have adjustable arm rest's though, that would be nice, probably have to pay 150 more dollars for that???? lol
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy