Author Topic: HELP!! 1976 Pace Arrow 454-engine. NO POWER AT KEYS FOR ENGINE OR LIGHTS ETC  (Read 91 times)

Offline johnbartel12

• I own: a Motor Home
  • Year: 1976
  • Make: pace
  • Model: arrow
  • Chassis: chevy
  • Engine: 454
Hey all,
im new here names andrew looking to be a new active member here. ok but heres the low down. i just purchased a 1976 Pace Arrow w/ a 454 big block. put in new batteries and hooked her up and nothing at the keys, so i checked the connections to battery and all that and cleaned them and hooked back up still nothing. she hasnt ran in 3 years is what the previous owner told me and it ran when she was parked. how valid those statements were? well i dont know lol. i do have my manual but heres the problem i am new to all of this so im looking for a little guidance if anyone has any suggestions or can help in any way please help. oh and when i hook the auxilliary power 115v to power i have power at the keys although im getting a strange buzzing noise and everything seems to be going haywire. please feel free to ask any questions thanks!!!!

Offline ClydesdaleKevin

• 11 year member
  • Year: 1995
  • Make: Itasca
  • Model: Suncruiser 32RQ
  • Chassis: Oshkosh
  • Engine: Cummings Turbo Diesel
Sounds like you might be having a bad ground problem in the dash, and/or even a bad ignition (key) switch.  Are you getting voltage at the wires connected to the ignition switch?

Also, some coaches allow you to turn off power to the chassis and the coach using two different switches connected to solenoids...so that when you are parked, you can turn off all power to the chassis and dash...and when you store your rig, you can turn off all power to the coach systems.  Check around the coach to see if you can find two switches next to each other labeled Chassis and Coach.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 98 Cherokee lifted beastie tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Offline tmsnyder

• Make: GMC Motorhome
  • Model: Eleganza II
  • Chassis: GMC
  • Engine: 455
Wonder if someone install a big disconnect switch? 

Offline Rickf1985

• Year: 1989
  • Make: Winnebago
  • Model: Chieftain
  • Chassis: Chevy
Somewhere in the coach will be two switches, One will turn on the power for the chassis and the other will turn on the power for the coach. On my 1990 the switches are in the cabinet over the entrance door. They are marked. If you cannot find the manuals for that unit you are just going to have to search through all the cabinets and cubbyholes for those switches.

Offline tmsnyder

• Make: GMC Motorhome
  • Model: Eleganza II
  • Chassis: GMC
  • Engine: 455
Oh yeah, that's right.  My 1990 holiday rambler had that, a switch marked 'chassis' which latched a relay under the hood energizing the dashboard etc.  There was also a switch marked 'coach' which turned on all the 12v stuff in the coach.  Mine were over the door.

If that's the case, he could jump the relay to energize it and make it run.

Offline Rickf1985

• Year: 1989
  • Make: Winnebago
  • Model: Chieftain
  • Chassis: Chevy
Those latching relays can be tricky to jump, do it wrong and the magic smoke comes out. OH, They have a fuse on the relay also, if you find the switches and they do not work then check the fuse but be aware that you have to have power at the battery for the relay you are trying to work. If you do not have house batteries then the house relay will not switch, same if the house batteries are dead.

FULL Membership!

Want to start enjoyingall the benefitsFull Membership has to offer?

Become a Full

Want to enjoy your

Full Membership

without ever having

to renew?

Become a:

* Salvage Yards

Find
RV Salvage Yards

By STATE

* Chevy VIN Decoder

Want to know what your Chevy VIN means?