318 Intake and Carb Swap Talk

Started by srosa707, August 30, 2019, 10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srosa707

So I've done everything I can to get my 2 barrel carb to work properly but it just aint cuttin it.  Specifically, the choke.  It appears my carb is a low production (1 year?) version with the electric choke cast into the body.  I've replaced the components and its operating but my motor still will not fire properly.  I've set the dwell, added new plugs, wires, resistor, and coil along with a carb rebuild.  I've tried countless times to get this to work and when it finally does start, it does not idle up like a choked carb should. 

ANYWAYS, I have finally decided to go with an intake and carb swap to a 4-barrel to hopefully remedy the situation and MAYBE get a touch of performance out of it.  Does anyone have an aftermarket intake on their 318?  I was reading online about the difference between the RV (industrial) engines and the normal 318's and it sounds like theres some differences in the intake and water pumps.  Any info is appreciated folks.  THis is all just a bandaid until I can do the Cummins swap  ;)

BamBam

I just got off Edelbrock's website. Holy schnikes have price's gone up! I would stick with the #3376 intake and probably go with a 600 cfm carb. Maybe call Edelbrock and play 20 questions with them to help narrow it down. But spending about a grand and then doing a motor swap later, you may just want to put that coin towards the swap instead?, or just get a new carb and be done with it? Good Luck

BrandonMc

Quote from: srosa707 on August 30, 2019, 10:46 AM
So I've done everything I can to get my 2 barrel carb to work properly but it just aint cuttin it.  Specifically, the choke.  It appears my carb is a low production (1 year?) version with the electric choke cast into the body.  I've replaced the components and its operating but my motor still will not fire properly.  I've set the dwell, added new plugs, wires, resistor, and coil along with a carb rebuild.  I've tried countless times to get this to work and when it finally does start, it does not idle up like a choked carb should. 

guess you have adjusted the timing? looks like you did distributor work.

Rickf1985

I have not looked at Edelbrocks site but if you are looking at a grand worth of stuff to upgrade you might as well look at a fuel injection setup for an upgrade. Same price range and a MUCH better chance for reselling it when you do your swap. Either go with a two barrel injection swap and use the same manifold or go with a four barrel injection setup, which would have a better chance for resale, and pick up a stock 318 4 barrel manifold from the junkyard for 10.00.

srosa707

Ya I timed it and set the distrubutor.

Well, this popped up on the local craigslist and it got me thinking about the swap.  I wouldnt buy anything new as the prices for new stuff is just crazy for a motor like this.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/d/elk-grove-edelbrock-manifold-think-fits/6963639801.html

It looks to be a little different layout than what the 2 barrel has so I was trying to find if it would work and I ran across some info on the differences between industrial and standard engines.

Rickf1985

That is the  manifold you want so you better snap it up at that price! Now if you were lucky enough to find a 500 cfm 4 barrel Edelbrock carb you would have the ultimate combo for that engine. A 600 will work but a 500 will give you a very snappy bottom end and you will never run out of power on top with a stock cam.

On edit, I have been searching the Edelbrock site and I cannot find the SP2P although I  distinctly remember running them in the late 70's. The only manifold they show now with the split spread bore is the 21763 Performer and the passages are definitely a bit different. https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-intake-manifold-21763.html  I still think it is a good choice especially at that price. I will continue to try to track it down.

Yep, this is it, they just smoothed out and cleaned up the passages.   [size=78%]https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-318-360-intake-manifold-for-small-block-chrysler-la-series-engines-2176.html[/size]  and here is yours, [/size][size=78%]https://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/d/elk-grove-edelbrock-manifold-think-fits/6963639801.html[/size]