factory 1973 Brave D18 roof??

Started by dave shep, August 23, 2019, 09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave shep

Help..  I'm an RV newbie.

can someone help me identify the roof type on my 1973 Winnebago Brave D18.
It looks like some fiberglass sheet material. Kind of like you use in a shower stall wall.  It's not glued but loose and seems attached mechanically at the edges only.  Is this original?

What is it, how do I clean and maintain it and seal any leaks properly?

The owner I bought it from thought it was the original roof.  I find that hard to believe, being a 1973.. there do not appear to ever have been any leaks...at least that I can tell.  It's been sitting outside for a few years, I need to get it inside ASAP. 

Thanks much.

dave shep

and the roof wet..  notice the puddles...

BrandonMc

If its in decent shape and not leaking, I'd just roll with it for a season or two. I always have some puddling on mine and it's a different model and I have an aluminum roof, but there's always a lip that pools the water. I had to use eternabond to seal it all up to make sure the water that pools doesn't seep in.

the only issue with that bathroom plastic is its likely not going to resist hail all that well, likely not resistant to UV damage, and it's heavy, and can crack. If you provide a picture of the joints I could tell you if its that stuff you think it is. It likely is because of the 4' sections. Those joints won't hold up all that well over time I'd imagine.

dave shep

here are some close-ups of the roof...  you think this material has been put over the original, I assume aluminum? 

ClydesdaleKevin

Whatever that roof material is, do yourself a favor and clean it VERY well with either TSP (which is REALLY bad for the environment, especially fish and other aquatic life)...or use what I use:  A bunch of rags, and denatured alcohol.  Once clean, take white Eternabond tape, and seal every roof seam...get the good stuff from an RV dealer, not the Flex Seal garbage you see on TV.  THEN coat the entire roof with several coats of white elastomeric coating (Kool Seal is the expensive RV store brand...but from my experience, you can get the Henry or BlackJack white elastomeric coatings from Home Depot or Lowes and get the same good results for a lot less money.  You can skimp on the coating...but do NOT skimp on the tape!).

You will still get some puddles because of the flat nature of the roof, and sags from age...but you can also mitigate that problem by either putting a tarp over your roof when not using it, with something in the middle to form a tent (think short saw horses going down the middle of the roof, from nose to tail, to form the peak of the "tent" you will make from the tarp)...or just park the RV so one side is higher than the other, and all the rain flows off and doesn't form puddles.

I can't really tell from the pictures what your roof is made from...but the things I suggested above will make sure it is water tight...and will preserve it for years to come.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

legomybago

Ohhhh you bought that baby. I was drooling over it for the time it was for sale! The roof looks like it's in great condition. Give it a scrubbing, then keep it covered during the wet weather. Probably wouldn't hurt to use Eternobond tape on the seams going across the roof though. If you can't tarp it, park it a slight angle like Kev said so most of the water drains. That's a nice D18. Would you share what you paid for it???
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

dave shep

paid 8k.  all new appliances (fridg, micro, a/c, tv) all relatively new upholstery.  new tires/brakes/hoses/starter/alt/

was very dirty.  replacement steering box should be here by weeks end..  also needs new mufflers.  got a remote master cylinder reseviorââ,¬Â¦. that should make maintaining the brakes much easier.. 

can you recommend what kind of silicone is best to seal her up?

is fun...  can't wait to get her on a trip... 

LJ-TJ

Not sure if this link will work. LJ and I re-did our roof with this products and swear by it. It's a amazing product. Just in case you were thinking of looking into something. Hm?

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=448

ClydesdaleKevin

My wife and I are visiting her son in Vernon, NJ right now...not sure how far that is from Lebanon, NJ.  If it isn't all that far, I could come look at the roof and the rig and give you some pointers.  We'll be here until next Monday. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

dave shep

Kev,

About an hour's drive south...  If you are up for giving me some advice, I could use all I can get.  I'm new to the RV thing but not old Mopars... RV's seem like they can be far more fun though...

I think the roof is fiberglass...cleaned it real well with TSP..  put over, perhaps the original...not sure.. looked like fresh plywood and alum wrap... perhaps new...  from what I saw replacing the shower vent hood...  I am afraid to get on it....  perhaps with a piece of 1/2 plywood..

give me a call and we can set something up...  the Brave is not drivable at the moment...  middle of removing the steering gear box...

908 343 6485

dave

9 winterwood rd
Lebanon NJ 08833

Rickf1985

Putting all of your personal info on a public forum is a really bad idea!!!!!!!

LJ-TJ

Hey Dave, I'm not comfortable walking on our roof either. I got to 2X6's the width of the the roof and then layed plywood over top. That way I could move it along the roof and never had to worry about messing with the roof. Hm?

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: dave shep on August 27, 2019, 11:23 AM
Kev,

About an hour's drive south...  If you are up for giving me some advice, I could use all I can get.  I'm new to the RV thing but not old Mopars... RV's seem like they can be far more fun though...

I think the roof is fiberglass...cleaned it real well with TSP..  put over, perhaps the original...not sure.. looked like fresh plywood and alum wrap... perhaps new...  from what I saw replacing the shower vent hood...  I am afraid to get on it....  perhaps with a piece of 1/2 plywood..

give me a call and we can set something up...  the Brave is not drivable at the moment...  middle of removing the steering gear box...

Ah.  I thought it was a lot closer than that.  I doubt we'll have the time this year to take an hour trip south, as we are visiting my wife's son, daughter in law, and two grandsons who she hasn't seen in six years.  And we are only here until Monday.  For some reason, I thought Lebanon was just a few towns over.

Kev