Author Topic: 94 E4OD overdrive issues  (Read 106 times)

Offline Walldogg03

• I own: a Motor Home
  • Year: 1994
  • Make: Winnebago
  • Model: Itasca
  • Chassis: Ford
  • Engine: 460
94 E4OD overdrive issues
« on: August 12, 2019, 07:04 PM »
Hello all.  I have a 94 Suncruiser on the F53 chassis with only 44,000 miles on her.  We just picked it up a few weeks ago and brought it home and she runs like a dream.  However I noticed that the overdrive light would not come on or have any affect on the overdrive when pushed nor did the cruise work and wondered if they are related. So I am looking for schematics on the transmission and cruise so I can figure this out.  To give a bit of a back story and whats going on with it.  Well so we got her cleaned up and were itching to take her out on her maiden trip for a quick camp trip(200 miles round trip) all went well up until it downshifted once to climb a hill and wouldnt shift back up into O.D.  I pulled over and checked things out and all looked good to me and so we proceeded on as we were almost there and all was fine again.  Packed up and headed home Sunday after our first ever RV adventure was a blast and a success.  Well it did it again to us after climbing a slight hill, it downshifted out of overdrive as it should but would not shift back up.  Again pulled over and checked things out and did exactly as i did before.  Put it in gear and no luck.  Shifted smoothly up until it should have gone into O.D.  This thing sat for some years before i got it, but with the miles and how clean it was I couldnt pass this up as everything works.  Schematics or advice would be helpful.  Thanks in advance

Offline Rickf1985

• Year: 1989
  • Model: Chieftain
  • Chassis: Chevy
  • Engine: 454
Re: 94 E4OD overdrive issues
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 10:35 AM »
The overdrive light would normally only be on when you have overdrive turned off. It sound like the overdrive solenoid is sticking. How does the fluid look and smell? Check the plugs where they go into the transmission and make sure they are connected good and they are clean. The E4OD was not exactly the strongest transmission in stock form, Once rebuilt with upgraded parts they are just about bulletpoof. Keeping them cool is the key point as it is with any automatic transmission.

Offline Walldogg03

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 08:47 PM »
The one thing I havent done is pull the plugs on the transmission to check them but i will do that first thing tommorrow after i get off of work.  I know the O.D light isnt supposed to come until the button is pushed, but i pushed it out of curiosity and it didnt make any difference.  The light just didnt come on.  But anyways, I did check the fluid and it was nice and clean and didnt smell burnt at all.  I will check the plugs on the transmission and I will keep you posted.

Offline Rickf1985

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 08:13 AM »
It is 24 years old so even if the plugs come up good it might be prudent to drop the pan and change the fluid and filter and see if you can get a solenoid kit for it. I have been out of transmission work for many years but check google and see if they have a solenoid kit for a 94 E4OD.

Offline Rickf1985

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 08:24 AM »
You did not specify if this was gas or diesel, do a little googling on the overdrive issue and you may find your answer. They had some major issues with the lockup torque converter controller wiring picking up interference. This may be what you are feeling. I would do a bit of reading before buying any parts if the plug issue does not fix it since it could be one of several problems.

Offline Walldogg03

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 09:00 AM »
It's a gasser with a 460.  Problem is if I could find a schematic on this old girl that would be helpful but I can't seem to find anything in all my searching

Offline Rickf1985

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 06:05 PM »
What schematic are you looking for? The transmission or the chassis? The coach is going to be a Winnebago item and you might be able to get it by calling them. They may even have the chassis schematic. They usually have all of the engineering drawings that they will send you. Don't wait too long since it looks like they are trying to get away from doing that anymore. Their loss as far as I am concerned since there are better coach builders out there today, Winnebago is getting by on their past customer service. Once they get rid of that they are history.

Offline Walldogg03

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 09:18 PM »
looking for the ford schematic, but the coach schematics wouldnt hurt either lol.  I may give them a call and see what happens.  I will let you know how it pans out

Offline Elandan2

• 16 Year Member
  • Year: 1977
  • Model: Elandan II D27DRK
  • Chassis: Dodge M500
  • Engine: 440
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 06:35 AM »
All the wiring diagrams for your '94 are available on the Winnebago site.  https://winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm

Treatzall Waste tank sanitizer, lighting, and other RV related products!
Rick Ellerbeck, 1977 Elandan II

Offline DaveVA78Chieftain

• 14 year member
  • Year: 1978
  • Chassis: Dodge M400
  • Engine: 440-3
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 07:57 PM »
In order to assist you with the Winnebago Coach diagrams, I need to know if you have a 29RQ, 32RQ, 34RQ, 34RA, or 37RW as shown in the 94 Suncruiser brochure

As far as the Ford F53 chassis, you will need to have F-Super duty chassis manual:
Digital Bisko manual for a 94 chassis

FULL Membership!

Want to start enjoying all the benefits  Full Membership has to offer?

Become a Full

Want to enjoy your

Full Membership

without ever having

to renew?

Become a:

* Salvage Yards

Find
RV Salvage Yards

By STATE

* Ford VIN Decoder

Want to know what your Ford VIN means?