1978 Winnebago Elandan II. ECM and ballast resistor location?

Started by Raceluvr, July 21, 2019, 01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raceluvr

Hello everyone.  Iââ,¬â,,¢m new to the forum and am looking for some basic information.  I have a 1978 Winnebago Elandan II with a Dodge 440 engine.  It has been in storage for 7 years, but was running fine when I drove it last.  Can anyone tell me where the ECM and ballast resistor is located?  Not located in the front hood area, and itââ,¬â,,¢s not readily visible under the engine cover.   (Not sure what to look for either) I am testing items as I am getting no voltage to the coil when the key is on, no spark to the plugs, the fuse is ok.  I am thinking the ECM or resistor is suspect, but need a little guidance to locate it.  The primary & secondary windings are within tolerances on the coil, so I feel if voltage can get to the coil it would run.  I appreciate anyone who can answer my question.  Thank you very much in advance!

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Raceluvr

Dave,  thank you very much.  This is excellent information! I am going to the storage lot right now to investigate!  I will let you know what I find.

Raceluvr

I was able to locate the module, mounted underneath a vacuum unit for the cruise control.  Not a day to do this work, with the interior of the coach being at least 100 degrees, Iââ,¬â,,¢ll need to do on an early morning when it is much cooler.
Thank you Dave, you made my day!

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Raceluvr on July 21, 2019, 04:47 PM
I was able to locate the module, mounted underneath a vacuum unit for the cruise control.  Not a day to do this work, with the interior of the coach being at least 100 degrees, Iââ,¬â,,¢ll need to do on an early morning when it is much cooler.
Thank you Dave, you made my day!

Dave is awesome!  He always saves the day.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Raceluvr

Update: I was able find an OEM replacement ballast resistor and ECM from Summit Racing. Engine starts and runs smooth, until the Chemtool runs out.  Now looking at fuel delivery.  I suspect the filter.  I believe on the 440 is located near the fuel pump at the front of the engine, passenger side.  A project for a cooler morning, itââ,¬â,,¢s already mid to high 80ââ,¬â,,¢s on the way to low 90ââ,¬â,,¢s.  (I melt easy).
Thanks again Dave. :)ThmbUp