Author Topic: 1986 Chieftain Problems After Sitting  (Read 56 times)

Offline RonV

• I own: a Motor Home
  • Year: 1986
  • Make: Winnebago
  • Model: Chieftain 22
  • Chassis: Chevy
  • Engine: 454
1986 Chieftain Problems After Sitting
« on: August 16, 2019, 10:53 PM »
 Hello everyone
I bought a 1986 Chieftain 22 foot, it has a 454 on a Chevy chassis with a Quadrojet carburetor and it will not start now after sitting for 2 years.
It ran fine when I parked it and I added fuel stabilizer, the gas in the tank smelled like varnish so the fuel stabilizer went bad, I bypassed the fuel tank and connected 5 gallon gas container to the manual fuel pump on the engine.
When I turn the Key nothing but the break light comes on when I try to start it, turn signals work and wipers and a/c fan on dash, horn and headlight do not work.
Ran a wire to the starter solenoid and to the battery + side and put in a bush button, turned the key to on and pushed the button and it started and ran for 30 seconds or so and died, the carburetor is getting gas but will not start and only turns with no sign of starting, any idea what the problem could be?.
From what I read it says to pour about a ¼ cup of gas in the vent tube of the carburetor to fill the float bowl, I would think this is a common problem everyone here has had one time or another and would save some time asking first.
Some say check the line fuse if it has 1 or more, and check for spark and the ICM and others things which I will do, just trying to see if that is correct, if it started the first time it might be something different.
Why will it not turn over with the key? Why no horn and headlights?
My plan was to get new spark plugs and wires and a new ICM Ignition Control Modulator and Distributor cap and rotor but need to figure what happened from the time I parked it to why nothing works now.
Any suggestions on where I should start?, if I can get it started first I can trouble shoot why the lights and horn and key switch does not work, no sign of mice or rats or other things chewing on anything.
It took me a week to find the fuse box under the radio and there are no documents on Winnebago website for a 1986 Chieftain 22 foot, I got lucky and found this place after several hours of searching
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Ron

Offline Rickf1985

• Year: 1989
  • Model: Chieftain
Re: 1986 Chieftain Problems After Sitting
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:55 AM »
First main question is going to be did the gas have ethanol in it? Fuel stabilizer is only good for 6-9 months at best and that is with a completely full tank. Where are you located? If it had ethanol in it and it sat for two years you have a major case of phase separation and you probably have a carburetor that looks like it had acid run through it. The alcohol will absorb water from the air and that will accumulate in the tank and lines and carb and form acid.
As far as it not starting from the key that can be any things starting with the neutral safety switch. Could be a bad connection at the solenoid above the alternator. Two years without running, were the batteries kept charged or are thee new batteries. reading your description again sounds like the neutral safety switch, make sure it is in neutral or park. Hold it in start while running the gear shift back and forth through the whole range and see if it catches anywhere. You can carefully just dump some gas down the carb and try to start it gain, keep a large rag handy in case it catches on fire so you can just smother it out. If it starts again that way then the pump is probably bad also or the filter at the carb is clogged. No matter what the carb will need to come off and be rebuilt.

Offline RonV

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 11:13 AM »
Thanks for the reply Rick.
I live it Texas and it is hot here 107 at times, the gas has ethanol in it 10%, I just pumped 7 gallons out of the fuel tank that is a 30 gallon tank I think, the gas looks reddish and might be rust? So I will drop the fuel tank and clean it out or replace it. The in tank fuel pump clicks for a few seconds and might be good but will check it or get a new one.
Here are some pictures of the carb and solenoid,

stamped on the carb is what I think is the carb number 17085212   0066  HPA, I could not see any other numbers on the carb where it said the numbers would be.
I pulled the batteries when I parked the rv and installed new ones when I started it

Offline BamBam

• I own: I don't own one but I want one!
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 11:39 AM »
What Rick said! I'd also spray a bunch of Gumout carb cleaner through that carb once you get it runnin. I'd also clean up some of your electrics as well. Good Luck

Offline Rickf1985

• Year: 1989
  • Model: Chieftain
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 01:19 PM »
The red is degraded gas and if you had 10% ethanol in there for three years I think you are going to find you will have to replace anything made of rubber in the fuel system. Pumps, hoses, carb parts. And the carb may be a special case. I have a picture of one that was left with ethanol gas in it, I will try to find the picture, it is not pretty. Nor is it rebuildable.
Here it is, notice all of the white powder? That is aluminum oxide from where the alcohol attacked the carburetor body.

Offline RonV

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 02:32 PM »
Rick is this a good starting point?
I can get a gallon of new gas and attach it to my manual fuel pump on the engine to bypass the fuel tank pump and see if it will start, should I fill the fuel bowl first or just put some gas in the carburetor to see if it turns over.
If it turns over, next step to rebuild the carburetor if it does, if it does not start then the carburetor needs to be rebuilt, if it starts after the rebuild then I can work on the fuel system and flush out the tank and check the in tank fuel pump if it is good or needs to be replaced and flush the lines and replace what is needed.

FULL Membership!

Want to start enjoying all the benefits  Full Membership has to offer?

Become a Full

Want to enjoy your

Full Membership

without ever having

to renew?

Become a:

* Salvage Yards

Find
RV Salvage Yards

By STATE

* Chevy VIN Decoder

Want to know what your Chevy VIN means?