Heading for Wisconsin

Started by HandyDan, July 18, 2019, 08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HandyDan

My youngest son, his wife, and I are heading to that big campground in the sky.  No! Not that one!  We are pulling out tomorrow to the big airshow known as Airventure in Oshkosh, WI.  We go every year, except last year when my wife and oldest son were terminally ill.  Both passed away within two months of each other.  Airventure will have a Memorial Service for those that have "gone west" since the last airshow.  I plan to participate in that service.  Rick's name will be on the Memorial Wall along with his bio being included in the Memorial Book.  We always have a great time at Airventure.  This year they are highlighting jet fighters.  Last year was Bombers.  You can bet there will be a lot of dog fighting and explosives.  The night show is worth the trip.  Truly awe inspiring.  We will be pulling the Jayco popup camper instead of driving the motorhome.  The motorhome would be nice, but I don't have a toad to pull behind it.  The best way to experience the event is to fly in and sleep under the wing.  I've done that several times, but I'm getting too old for that.  A friend from my airport is flying in a Luscombe 4.  It is the only one of its type flying.  You might see one in a museum somewhere.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

tmsnyder

Sounds like a lot of fun, I've always wanted to go to Oshkosh.  Very sorry to hear of your losses.

ClydesdaleKevin

Sounds like a lot of fun, Dan!  My deepest condolences on the loss of your wife and son.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Elandan2

Our condolences as well Dan. Enjoy the airshow, I've heard it's the best one.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Rickf1985

Sorry for the loss Dan, That is a tough one. I have been to the show twice. Flew in once and drove in once. The flying in was quicker but it was definitely hectic! Can't say I ever taxied the city traffic before. And that was 35 years ago. I can't imagine what it is like now. I watch a you tube channel where the owner of the channel has a Luscomb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIS8Y6e_oDM

LJ-TJ

:)ThmbUp  Hey Dan, hope this gives you the pick me up you need. Lauren and I flew the WARBIRD show for years. You'll have a great time. All the best to you mate.

DVan

I would've never guessed I'd learn of a old plane unknown to me before in an automotive forum. I'm an old "round engine" pilot (with 1,000's of hours in both types), and Luscombe is one of my favorites and I'd like to get one as my "other" RV.

Thanks for enlightening me and enjoy OSH! Been there many times always via a different mode. I've not MH'd there yet so I'm a little envious. Can't think of a better way to honor close ones lives. Wow...what a story!

Edit: ... and thanks, Rick, for the Luscombe (and a rag-wing at that) YT link ... COOL! Those two places are now on my bucket list.

2nd Edit (Mon: 7/22): I was watching some EAA OSH video today and am pretty sure I saw the Luscombe 4 landing at OSH. Here (starting@ time=15:42): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_O9GuZCVT0
1988 Itasca Windcruiser 32RQ
Semi-retired Artist/Flyer

HandyDan

I haven't posted much from Airventure because my computer internet isn't so hot.  My phone is fantastic, but computer not so much.  The beginning was a soggy mess.  They had RVs parked on all the roads around the airport because the campground was so wet from three days of torrential rains.  There were miles and miles of motorhomes and travel trailers.  Because we had a popup camper they let us in.  However, we were the last ones in.  We snagged an ideal campsite right across the street from the showers, right near the Fly-In Theater, a short walk to the Porta-Potties (which are cleaned daily), and a view of the traffic on the road.  I enjoy people watching and there is a constant stream to watch.  They come by walking, riding bicycles, motor scooters, quadracycles, Segways, a motorized wheel (I don't know how it's powered, but it is just a wheel with foot pads on both sides), handicap scooters, you name it.  Even a motorized sofa.  I'm off to the Fly-In Theater to watch the Lafayette Escadrille.  My son and his wife are at the Ulta-Lights watching a nighttime light show.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

You're talking about the One Wheel electric powered on/off road skate board I think.  A couple of friends of mine have them.  Pretty expensive but pretty neat and not too hard to use if you are used to a skate board or snowboarding.  They use a gyro system like a Segway to help with balance, they are fast, and the more expensive one has an impressive range on one battery charge.

https://onewheel.com

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

HandyDan

Yes, Kevin, That's the thing.  $950?  That might be the ER deductible when I try to use one.  Today it tried to rain but didn't do a very good job of it.  The movie last night was interesting but not very entertaining.  It was like one of those big picture books you find in the library that documents some important point in history that nobody really cares about.  Today the airshow had so many planes in the air it was hard to keep track of who was doing what.  The F22 and A35 fighters were so loud they  gave me a headache. They blew up the runway several times and I'm still hearing machine gun fire as I type this.  Everything from a Cessna 310 to the C5M Galaxy was in the air at the same time.  If the military flew it, it was flying today.  Tomorrow is kind of an off day.  I'll spend some of it packing up stuff.  We plan to leave here around noon on Sunday. I found out this morning I need to pick up a passenger in Brodhead, WI on the way home.  It's not too far out of the way.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Dan!  I tried my friend's OneWheel, and thought the same thing!  Even though I used to snowboard a lot when I was a kid, and I could use the thing somewhat...my first thought was..."I'm going to hurt myself and fall...and my insurance probably won't cover this..."

Kev

Rickf1985

That show has changed a lot since I was there last 35 years ago. I have been watching some videos of it on You Tube and it is crazy. It was hectic back then but not as bad as it is now. At least it does not seem like it. TJ? The show itself has definitely gone high tech.