What's The Best Choke Cable - 1985 P30 454?

Started by cujoe_da_man, July 18, 2019, 06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cujoe_da_man

Among some of the minor upgrades to our '84 Chieftain, we've been fighting with choke cables.  I finally figured out that if I cut one down it makes it work really well, but just like when they're long, eventually the cable seizes up and I feel like I'm gonna pull the dash panel right off the dash itself.  Any recommendations on what to get?

tmsnyder

worst case scenario, try McMaster Carr.   They have high quality stuff, not the cheapest, but good stuff in general.

https://www.mcmaster.com/control-cable

Rickf1985

Why not use the factory electric choke? Even all of the aftermarket carbs all have electric chokes available and that eliminates the cable hassle.

BamBam

When I changed out the intake and carb on a /6, I used the generic choke cable from NAPA and fabbed it up. I have noticed that it does get hard to operate after a couple years. I just spray some liquid wrench or oil on the spring windings and let it seep into and onto the cable. After working the cable a couple time really loosens it up till the next couple years and I have to do it again. Good Luck