Headlamp wires getting warm

Started by BrandonMc, July 15, 2019, 05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandonMc

So the backstory is I have an electrical issue that propagated itself from an auxiliary heater that seized up and caused an electrical nightmare under the dash. The electrical problems surged from the seized motor up throughout the wiring. Fried all sorts of components including check engine, headlamps, etc.

I have since replaced the low beam and high beam relays, and now have low and highbeam headlamps again! yay. But, now feel the wires and even the new relays for those headlamps getting warm! I'd imagine if they were on for long enough - they'd start to get real hot and I might have a fire issue if I don't fix this. 

From what I've read, it's likely a shorting issue somewhere. I imagine those wires got hot enough to melt the insulation when the aux heater motor seized. So far I have not un-bundled the tape wrapped wiring near the fuse block to find any issues there.

Finally - my question is, have you had experience with this before? I believe there's a short somewhere and my advice is always chase the source to the destination to find the problem. Maybe someone out there has had some experience with this and can lead me to a location before I start unwrapping all these wires. I'm sure the bundled areas are where I need to start. :'(

Rickf1985

The headlights did not originally have relays, it is always a good idea to add them but if they are there then what wires are getting hot? The relay trigger wire (Which is the original headlight wire) will only have milliamps going through it and the hot wire to the relay should be and add on with a fuse inline. Stock lights with added on relays, I always used 12 gauge wire but 14 should have no issues and not get even warm. There is no fuse for the headlights in the stock configuration, there is a built in circuit breaker in the headlight switch.

Try unplugging the headlights at the bulbs and then turn them on and see if the wires warm up, If not then there is no short.

BrandonMc

Rick, thanks for your reply!

I'm almost certain these relays came stock with the rv.

The wires overheating issue is fixed! What was causing the wires to overheat were actually the crimp connections between the wires coming out of the back of the fuse block to the winnebago wiring. The crimp connections were discolored from the heat created. Now I made new connections and the resistance created by them is gone. The wires are now just a tad warmer than ambient. Also, the dome lights want to work now!

Rickf1985

You are giving me a lot of reasons to tear my wiring completely out to go over it!!!!! 30 year old crimp connections are always going to be a problem and should ALWAYS be replaced with soldered connections. I use bare crimp connectors, slide a piece of heat shrink up the wire and crimp on the bare crimp connector and then solder the connector to the wire. Then I slide the heat shrink down and shrink it on for insulation. I buy the heat shrink in rolls.

BrandonMc

Quote from: Rickf1985 on July 20, 2019, 02:25 PM
You are giving me a lot of reasons to tear my wiring completely out to go over it!!!!! 30 year old crimp connections are always going to be a problem and should ALWAYS be replaced with soldered connections. I use bare crimp connectors, slide a piece of heat shrink up the wire and crimp on the bare crimp connector and then solder the connector to the wire. Then I slide the heat shrink down and shrink it on for insulation. I buy the heat shrink in rolls.

If/when you do tear it all out, I finally have a tip for you! Winnebago has a booklet of the ENTIRE wire list from where it originates and to where it goes. The second time I went through the wiring, I noticed this is the good part - EVERY wire has it's respective code stamped on it. Comes in real handy, so no guesswork. I still traced source to destination based off of the wiring diagram.   

Rickf1985

Tell me more about this booklet! All I see are purple wires that I need to constantly trace out.

TerryH

This is what I use.
Diagram Help, Identification Guide and specific year.
Says the online guides are only available for 1990 up, but always possible other years may be available by request.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

BrandonMc

Quote from: Rickf1985 on July 21, 2019, 09:23 AM
Tell me more about this booklet! All I see are purple wires that I need to constantly trace out.

I requested the full set of drawings from winnebago specific to my year. I think the wire ID guide is universal, pm me your email and I can send you it.

Rickf1985

Sent, I have that set of drawings, Most of what they send will be informative but the house wiring will be disappointing. If I remember correctly it is the same or a little less detailed then what you have been looking at in that link Dave gave us for the 1990.

BrandonMc

Quote from: Rickf1985 on July 22, 2019, 08:21 PM
Sent, I have that set of drawings, Most of what they send will be informative but the house wiring will be disappointing. If I remember correctly it is the same or a little less detailed then what you have been looking at in that link Dave gave us for the 1990.

They sent a very comprehensive set of diagrams, I can just email the whole set to you they have on my 87 to compare. I believe what they have for the 1990 looks pretty similar.

(edit... sent you one pm and forgot to include my email, now your inbox is full)

Rickf1985

Ok, I will have to deal with my inbox a bit later, I sent you my email as you requested. I have to go out and do some yard cleanup after a severe windstorm yesterday evening. 80 MPH winds! Power out again for the third time in a week. Parts for my electrical panel generator interlock will be in tomorrow so I can get that done and after that when the power goes out all I need to do is fire up the generator and flip the interlock and I am feeding the whole house.