79 Cruice air 727 shifter won't move

Started by scottsdale1977, July 09, 2019, 10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottsdale1977

Sad to say my RV has spent more time as a lawn ornament and I'm getting ready to sell it.  Fired right up today but the shifter lever is stuck.  When I started it last fall it was very hard to get out of park but was able to do so.  Today I got it to neutral but couldn't get it moved back to park; luckily its on flat ground.  Is it just the cable that needs replacing or is it more serious?  The trans is original but was mated to a first gen Cummins diesel by the previous owner. 

Froggy1936

Hi, I did not like the gearshift on the dash as it was originally , So i replaced it with a Hurst Floor shifter Along side the R.S of the drivers seat Works fantastic ,   I don't know how hard it will be to find a cable , To check it (make sure the veh cant roll) Disconnect the cable from the trans and shift the trans lever thru all positions . Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

scottsdale1977

Thanks Frank!  Sorry for the delay.  So I did get the cable disconnected from the transmission but the level still won't move other than between neutral & drive.  I'm assuming it's the lever itself then?  That Hurst shifter looks nice, though I'm selling the RV and don't want to sink too much into it.  But I can't sell it as is so if so then so be it. 

Rickf1985

More likely the cable is frozen. You can get replacement cables from the aftermarket.

Froggy1936

Hi Scott, I take it that by lever you mean the lever on the transmission .That is a very unlikely situation , I have never encountered it. You will have to drop the pan for further diagnosis . Let us know what you find  , Pictures are a great help  Frank   If you mean the shift lever on the dash , Then it probably is the cable .
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

scottsdale1977

Quote from: Froggy1936 on July 16, 2019, 04:59 PM
Hi Scott, I take it that by lever you mean the lever on the transmission .That is a very unlikely situation , I have never encountered it. You will have to drop the pan for further diagnosis . Let us know what you find  , Pictures are a great help  Frank   If you mean the shift lever on the dash , Then it probably is the cable .

My mistake, I meant the gear shift lever on the dash.  I'll replace the cable and see if that solves it.  I assume it's just a matter of finding one that's the right length? 

Rickf1985

The right length and the right ends. Having a brain fart here but there is a company out there that has them. Do a google search for shift cables.

Elandan2

By the way. When you get a new cable, make sure it's routed clear of the exhaust. That has killed many cables.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Scotty76

Had the exact same issue with mine the dash mounted shifter
but got it working with some rust check and patients