Utah to New York, 2019

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, June 03, 2019, 08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Froggy1936 on June 24, 2019, 07:36 PM
Yep i bought a 1930 Flat bed Pu Truck w No bed and a locked up engine , @ age 11 For $1.00  Hah Ha started me down the road to where i am today, (That and rebuilding coaster brakes on many bicycles )  When i took it apart it had a bad piston w lots of rust on the cly walls so i took the piston and rtod out went to the junk yard (this was approx 1949) The guy said that from a model A  I said yea He said good day today i have an engine sitting by the shop door, To which he took a sledge to get the piston out with out removing the pan the head was already off . I installed the piston and rod no checking clearances etc sande all the clys till it would turn over smoothly , Changed the oil and put it back together  I had i set of 1/2 in sockets my uncle gave me a 10 in crescent wrench .  Fired it up Varoom ! Used to race the earthmovers building the Parkway  Got scary at times some of those guys were evil !  Eventually the police confiscated it as i was stating to wander around the streets No Drivers lic and no plates/state Inspection !

LOL!  You should write your memoirs Frank!  I love hearing about your history!  You are an awesome man, my friend!  I hope Louie is doing well!  And I'm not joking about a Model A being my dream car.  I like to drive slow anyway, and aside from the cool factor, it would give me an excuse to do so!  If I got my hands on an electric start Model A, I would be an even happier man than I am now (if that is even possible), and trailer that thing all over the country as my daily driver to get stuff at the stores when in camp with the RV.  I would definitely want the car version though...with a convertible buggy top!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

Damn rebel kids! :D  Where was this at Frank? I remember my Dad telling me stories about how how he and his friends would terrorize Philadelphia with cars right off of the showroom floor from a Studebaker dealership. One of those kids dads owned the place. Apparently there was a huge train wreck on the elevated in the 40's and all the cops were there and him and his friends were racing all over Philly with nobody to bother them. Between the dealership and the fact that half of them were farmers they had access to cars, gas and tires which most people at that time did not.

Froggy1936

Hi Rick Yea we used to get away with a lot of stuff back in the 40,s   That was in Edgewood a suburb of Pittsburgh , When they were building the Penn Lincoln Parkway !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

We had a great visit with our friends, and are now back on the road!  We are staying the night at a Flying J in Ashtabula, OH...and will get an early start tomorrow taking back roads to Niagra Falls! 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

tmsnyder

Niagra Falls, is that an ED medicine?  Or are you headed to Niagara Falls?

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: tmsnyder on June 26, 2019, 10:50 PM

Niagra Falls, is that an ED medicine?  Or are you headed to Niagara Falls?

LOL!  Niagara it is!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

WOW what a long day!  We saw Niagara Falls...and MAN was it busy...and it was a weekday!  Then we were going to drive part way to Sterling, NY, but there was no where to stop for the night along the way we took.  The only Walmart said "no overnight parking", there were NO truck stops or pull offs along NY-104 East...and by the time we saw ANY signs for campgrounds, we were only 20 miles away from the campground we had a reservation at for the duration of the Sterling Renaissance Faire. 

So yeah...we got an early start this morning, drove on mostly byways to avoid the tolls, arrived at Niagara Falls parking lot 3 only to be told we had to disco the Jeep if we wanted to park there (which we did), we saw the falls and took some pictures...and then drove ALL the way to Sterling, NY to the Sterling Creek Campground, and since we were early, they put us in a temporary site for a day or two until they finish laying down the gravel in our site.  It was dark by the time we were settled in.

LONG day!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We had a TOTAL do nothing day today!  Aside from taking the doggos out 5 times, we did ZIP!  Zero!  Nada!  A blissful day of total rest and relaxation!  We watched a John Wayne movie, and a couple of other movies...and that was it.  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Kev

c farmer

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on June 28, 2019, 10:10 PM
We had a TOTAL do nothing day today!  Aside from taking the doggos out 5 times, we did ZIP!  Zero!  Nada!  A blissful day of total rest and relaxation!  We watched a John Wayne movie, and a couple of other movies...and that was it.  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Kev

Any adult beverages?     Sounds like a nice day.   I am enjoying reading your adventures.

ClydesdaleKevin

There might have been a few adult beverages.   :angel:

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

If anyone lives in Upstate New York and wants to come to the Sterling Renaissance Festival, they gave us a BUNCH of comp tickets to hand out.  They are only good for the first three weekends though.  The Festival starts this coming weekend!

Kev

tmsnyder

Dang you should have pulled into my distillery on Rt 104 just outside Lockport, could have stayed there in parking lot.

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on June 27, 2019, 10:16 PM
WOW what a long day!  We saw Niagara Falls...and MAN was it busy...and it was a weekday!  Then we were going to drive part way to Sterling, NY, but there was no where to stop for the night along the way we took.  The only Walmart said "no overnight parking", there were NO truck stops or pull offs along NY-104 East...and by the time we saw ANY signs for campgrounds, we were only 20 miles away from the campground we had a reservation at for the duration of the Sterling Renaissance Faire. 

So yeah...we got an early start this morning, drove on mostly byways to avoid the tolls, arrived at Niagara Falls parking lot 3 only to be told we had to disco the Jeep if we wanted to park there (which we did), we saw the falls and took some pictures...and then drove ALL the way to Sterling, NY to the Sterling Creek Campground, and since we were early, they put us in a temporary site for a day or two until they finish laying down the gravel in our site.  It was dark by the time we were settled in.

LONG day!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: tmsnyder on July 04, 2019, 04:31 PM
Dang you should have pulled into my distillery on Rt 104 just outside Lockport, could have stayed there in parking lot.

I just might take you up on that next year!  Happy Independence Day!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Since this weekend was the opening weekend of the Sterling Renaissance Festival in upstate New York, thus endeth this chapter!

Kev

tmsnyder

Thanks for the offer of the tix to the Ren Faire, I don't think we'll be able to do any of those weekends, just too busy.   Thanks though!

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: tmsnyder on July 09, 2019, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the offer of the tix to the Ren Faire, I don't think we'll be able to do any of those weekends, just too busy.   Thanks though!

No problem!  Maybe next year.

Kev

tmsnyder

Yes and plan on boondocking at my distillery, Niagara Craft Spirits at 4408 Ridge Rd, Lockport, NY, ... Let me know in advance and I'll let the neighbors know, they are the best security system around.   I could even leave on the hose bib and a 20A electric receptacle for you.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: tmsnyder on July 10, 2019, 05:15 PM
Yes and plan on boondocking at my distillery, Niagara Craft Spirits at 4408 Ridge Rd, Lockport, NY, ... Let me know in advance and I'll let the neighbors know, they are the best security system around.   I could even leave on the hose bib and a 20A electric receptacle for you.

You are awesome!  I'll take you up on that, and purchase a couple of bottles of your finest to stock the bar. 

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: tmsnyder on July 10, 2019, 05:15 PM

Also, if you can come visit the faire ANY of the 7 weekends this year, the office informed us that we could get you comp passes...so let us know if you are as busy later in the season.

Kev