1974 Winnebago Winnie Wagon Pop Top canvas

Started by Winniewagon33, February 20, 2022, 11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winniewagon33

Hello everyone! Brand new to RVs and Winnebago but I've got a super cool project! Got a 1974 Winnie Wagon that sat in a yard for 15 years. Was able to get the engine to crank so it's officially being revived. I've got some significant fiber glass repair but that's all fairly easy. The one thing I don't know what to do about it the canvas for the pop up. It's essentially a solid roof that extends from a crank bar to add an extra 2 feet of head room to the galley. The roof itself is repairable but the canvas is too far gone. Anyone know anything about replacing something like that? Am I better off trying to replace the whole pop up section with a modern version they sell for sprinter vans or is there a way to get a new canvas skirt for it and install it? Hopefully someone has experience because I've had an incredibly hard time finding any info for this vehicle! Thanks everyone look forward to sharing progress as it comes!

Oz

Hello and welcome.  Unless you have a custom canvass making place in your area, it's going to be very difficult to replace the original.

I've never seen any service documentation which covers this.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Winniewagon33

Thanks for the response and the move to the approproiate forum! (sorry about that) Do you know of any online custom pop top companies? Ive seen some videos of people replacing canvas on more modern pop tops and it looks fairly simple. I am not entirely sure how similar a 1974 design is to todays but If thats not possible the move might be to just create a permanent fiberglass extension or to purchase a crank up pop top and reframe the roof. Thoughts and experience with this are super welcome!

- Jeff

yellowrecve

A place that does boat covers should be able to sew one up for you.
RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 48 years.

Xbird

Wow, that looks like one challenging resurrection! I'd very carefully remove what remains of the canvas and keep every little bit of it so that when you find someone, they can make accurate template from it. I've had to do essentially the same thing with cars that have rusted to next to nothingness. You can't assume that all sides and lengths/widths are equal.

Winniewagon33

It's a heck of a project for sure! The floor pans are almost completely rusted out as well so welding to do as well! Great advice for the fabric because I was planning on just ripping it all out and throwing it away, plus it looks like its is all there. just ripped up so I should be able to get an accurate template for someone that's better at that than me. Thanks for the reply!

- Jeff

Winniewagon33

Great idea! Never wouldve thought of that, thanks!