Updating Chevy P30 steering wheel?

Started by Ericb760, June 28, 2019, 06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ericb760

I guess I've just become too accustomed to modern thick steering wheels like the one in my GTI. I really like the heft and weight of it and want to upgrade my old Chevy steering wheel. It's so thin I think I will break it off every time I drive it. Has anyone ever upgraded their OEM wheel?
1989 Winnie Chieftain 28'

Rickf1985

There is a hardened steel ring under that plastic so be assured you cannot break it but upgrading is no different than any other car. It may be getting a little hard to find aftermarket kits for 30 year old vehicles though. I don't know if Grant is still making steering wheels or not.

Rickf1985

One thing I would suggest is to not go smaller in diameter because if you ever lose power you will never be able to turn it with a smaller wheel. You lose all of the mechanical advantage of the larger diameter.

Ericb760

If I recall correctly (I am not at the RV), the OEM wheel is 16" in diameter? Would dropping to a 15" really be that difficult to handle with no power in your opinion? I certainly would not go any smaller than that.
1989 Winnie Chieftain 28'