Onan emerald I issues

Started by Xbird, June 18, 2019, 01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xbird

Since I've finally sorted out my fuel supply issues I moved onto getting my electrical systems in order. Once again I'm faced with "deciphering" what is owner added vs original. I have a switch for an inverter, which is located under the sink area, its a Tripp Lite PV400, which consistently blows it's fuses and puts out very weak power. It can spin a little plug in electrical fan, but only feebly. Turn on the AC and the fuses blow.  pretty sure that's a previous owner add on.

Moving on from that, I have the Onan and the Parallex Power series 7100 convertor charger which I'm pretty sure is original. I've only ever run the 120v on shore supply at home/camping. I have run the generator, but with the fuel hose problems, it has been problematic the last year or so, essentially kept stalling for lack of fuel.
So, today i fired it up, and it would not go beyond the surging governed idle mode. rpm never stabilized. Anytime I turned on the AC, it would stall. I turned the rpm up until it stabilized and unfortunately, right away let the smoke out of a capacitor on the control board of the convertor/charger. In examining the convertor/charger, I don't like the looks of the way the breakers that are in it make contact with the load tabs. one breaker is a gfi with test button, the other is a dual, GTEs.

Could a loose or barely touching breaker contact point be the culprit of the low power i see from using  inverter supply? Also, would the rpm adjustment be enough to raise the generator output to cause it to cook the board?

TerryH

Quote from: Xbird on June 18, 2019, 01:55 PM
I have a switch for an inverter, which is located under the sink area, its a Tripp Lite PV400, which consistently blows it's fuses and puts out very weak power. It can spin a little plug in electrical fan, but only feebly. Turn on the AC and the fuses blow.  pretty sure that's a previous owner add on.

Your PV400 (a separate issue from your generator or converter)  is an older 400W inverter. Regardless of how many and how well charged batteries you have it will not power an AC that likely requires 1500W to run and considerably more to start.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Xbird

I've already decided to pull the inverter out. no sense in having it with the generator and all it's good for is some lighting, so "buh bye" to that.

From the looks of it, I'll have to replace the lower portion of the convertor, can't find a source for the blown cap (200v950uf). Had that Homer Simpson moment of D'oh, unplug and test output at the plug end from the genny. My bad for having the 30 amp feed on and supply plugged in when i was getting it going.