Steering Shaft from the Power Steering Box

Started by LJ-TJ, June 13, 2019, 06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Has any body ever separated the steering shaft from the power steering box. i?? If so how's it done. Do you just loosen off the one knuckle and pull???????????? I have to replace the seal in the power steering box. Hm? Thanks Mates.

c farmer

Yeah, if its like trucks.  Loosen the knuckle at the box then pound it off.   W%

Rickf1985

Be SURE to mark the position!!! Some have a dead spline or a flat on the shaft but some are splined all the way around and if you get it back on the wrong tooth your steering wheel will be off center.

LJ-TJ

:)ThmbUp Thanks mate. Got it! Just had to loosen the two bolts on the steering shaft inside the motorhome and then there's some kind of knuckle right at the steering box. There's two one above the other. It's the one right next to the steering box. Just loosen it off and then pry the steering shaft off.

LJ-TJ

Aw crap! Now yeah tell me. Well D:oH! Just sent the steering box out for a $250.00 dollar rebuild. I watched the youtube videos and they make it look simple but the question that begs to be asked is do you feel lucky. Especially if your not mechanically inclined. Still Thanks Rick. Now I'm planning to spend the day just staring at the parts (splines) to see how bad I screwed. things up. $@!#@!

Elandan2

Centering the wheel afterward is easy. Just get it straight and pull the steering wheel off the shaft and put it back on where you want it.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

LJ-TJ

Sometimes I never cease to amaze my self. :)ThmbUp Turn's out changing out the searing box was  easier and less complex than I worried about. Can it be done by some one with little to no experience? Yes thanks to the gang here. Total cost was $250.00 plus Pittman are puller for $25.00 that you can pick up at Princess Auto....Canada or Harbor Fright. As well as a set of flare nut wrenches.

joev

very good just did that job myself hopefully that takes care of that nasty leak

LJ-TJ

:)ThmbUp Well yeah have to give credit were credit is do. We had to have the motorhome ready for an extensive road trip (wedding) on Friday and I had taken the steering box in on Wednesday to see if it could be done. Gord said it would be ready maybe buy Friday. To call around 2:00 Friday. I did. The cap on the phone said they'd gotten bogged down with unexpected projects and it wouldn't be ready till next week to which I said Hmmmmmm ain't this a fine mess Ally. I said Gord said he thought it would be ready by 4:30 Friday and to give him a call, that we had the rig packed and ready to go and all I had to do was install the box and it was giddy up go time. The lad call across the shop to Gord said it was for a wedding and Gord said show up and it would be ready to go. Yep! Gord and the boys were true to their word. Boy did they ever do a nice job on it. So if your ever in the area and need your brakes and steering rebuilt these are the boys to go to.

Brake and Steering Rebuilders
Celebrating over 20 Years in London, Ontario
[size=78%] PHONE: (519) 453-1012[/size]

Toll Free: 1-800-420-7050
    65 Clarke Road
    Unit 13
    London, Ontario
    N5W 5Y2
    info@brakeandsteering.com

cosmic

I bought a new steering box at napa it was from a 1988 chev silverodo. but the exact same as the one we have. 160 bucks. brand new....
wish I new earlier I would have told you..  Hm?
I smashed mine up tring to fix a leak... 160 dollar lesson.  but that's sound high for a rebuild...

SR66

I just replaced my steering gear last week with a Cardone rebuilt one. 182.00 on Amazon with 70.00 refund on core return. Decided to keep the core and have Steer and Gear rebuild it for RV use.

New box steers fine but is still twitchy especially on less than ideal road.

Rickf1985

You say the box is twicthy, are you sure the gear is centered when it is going straight down the road? This is a mistake I see all the time in alignments where they do not center the steering box before anything else. They always center the steering wheel without checking to see if someone had ever taken it off and put it back on off center. A steering box is only tight at dead center, it depends on steering forces to take out the play while turning.

SR66

Everything is in order as far as the steering gear being centered and alignment goes.

The issue is the nature of these gear boxes being super sensitive as opposed to the way they are on modern vehicles.

The gentleman I spoke with at Steer & Gear said they replace the gear valve with a larger more modern one that improves the over sensitive action of the original design. Also the pinion gear shaft is larger and the current set up has to be replaced with a U joint connection.