Author Topic: Towing with my motorhome  (Read 50 times)

Offline hotrodharley

• I own: a Motor Home
  • Year: 1990
  • Make: Winnebago
  • Model: Chieftain
  • Chassis: Ford
  • Engine: 460
Towing with my motorhome
« on: June 10, 2019, 01:37 PM »
I am a new rv'er..I just got myself a 1990 chieftain Class A...it has a 460 big engine with the overdrive trans...I got MH to slow down in life and go camping and also would like to use it to tow my show car and golf cart on a 23 ft open trailer to car shows to cut down on having to try and find motel rooms and pay there $65 and up a night for a room plus try to find places to eat at all weekend..my concern is if I will be able to make it over all the mountains I have to to over to get anywhere...I live in north part of Nv.so surrounded with them...Also what kind of MPG I can expect to be ready for..estimated weight is 2000lb trailer..car around 2600lbs and guessing 800lb golf cart..

Offline Froggy1936

• 13 year member
  • Year: 1977
  • Model: Minnie Winnie
  • Chassis: Chevy G30
  • Engine: 5.7 1995
Re: Towing with my motorhome
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 05:24 PM »
Expect 4-5 MPG Then if more be HAPPY !  Frank
The Journey is the REWARD !

Offline Rickf1985

• Year: 1989
  • Model: Chieftain
  • Chassis: Chevy
  • Engine: 454
Re: Towing with my motorhome
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 07:23 PM »
2,000 lbs. for a 23 ft trailer is either an aluminum trailer or you are VERY optimistic! You might want to add 6-700 lbs. at least to that if it is a steel trailer and more if it has 10,000 lb. suspension. And 2600 lbs. is a really. really light car! My M-151 military jeep weighs that and it is a unibody with no frame. no top and no accessories and a 4 banger motor. I towed that on a 18 foot open trailer from NJ to Virginia for many years and got 8 MPG average BUT, This was with a 454 Chevy engine. Ford 460's are famous for drinking a LOT of gas. My trailer is a landscape trailer so it is not as heavy as a car trailer and even at that and only 18 feet long the trailer and jeep was 4100 lbs.

Something you will want to do if that Chieftain is more than 26 feet long is crawl under there and behind the rear spring hangers you will see where they added C channel to the frame to extend it. Check out those welds very well as they are usually total crap!!. That is why the hitch is only rated at 300 lbs tongue weight. And that was before 29 years of rust on the frame. I use a Trailer Toad to take the weight of the trailer tongue so there is no load at all on the hitch except for pulling load.

FULL Membership!

Want to start enjoying all the benefits  Full Membership has to offer?

Become a Full

Want to enjoy your

Full Membership

without ever having

to renew?

Become a:

* Salvage Yards

Find
RV Salvage Yards

By STATE

* Resources

Need parts and information?