Aux Heater Motor Replacement

Started by BrandonMc, June 10, 2019, 01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandonMc

Just wanted to say I had an electrical issue propagate itself up in the dash when the aux heater motor seized. You know, the one that uses the engine coolant to circulate back.

The motor was replaced with four seasons 35502. Took about an hours worth of research to find a good replacement for the electrohome old unit. The brand of the heater unit is evans. Thought I'd share that, since i didn't see any posts about the old motor on the net.

Jamo

BrandonMc:

[/size][size=78%] I have some questions about this heater. I have an '89 Chieftain with the same heater but it was disconnected by the PO. Do you like the heater? Is it worth the time and expense in getting this thing back on line? So far, the furnace seems to be enough heat but the idea of the other heater intrigues me.[/size]
"In your guts you know he's nuts"

BrandonMc

Quote from: Jamo on June 11, 2019, 09:23 AM
BrandonMc:

I have some questions about this heater. I have an '89 Chieftain with the same heater but it was disconnected by the PO. Do you like the heater? Is it worth the time and expense in getting this thing back on line? So far, the furnace seems to be enough heat but the idea of the other heater intrigues me.

I have an 87 coach, 88 chassis. The motor was $29 with tax after shipping. Allk the dimensions are exactly the same as the one replaced. I should receive it in the mail today. I feel like it's definitely worth it to me, because I take a spring break trip every year, and to get to the desert I drive through some colder areas on the way there. If this heater unit isn't running, we're all wearing our blankets as we drive because the dash heat isn't enough. The aux heater supplies a lot of heat back there.

This darn motor sent an electrical surge and killed off other components, like the check engine light computer, and the headlamp relay!! It was likely my fault, because I eliminated the diode in the wiring under the dash on the "KE" circuit, and just connected all the positive wires together. I also thought I had burned the transmission, but fortunately it was the awful smell of the electrical motor seizing up.

Rickf1985

Check engine light computer on an 88? there are no computers on the 88.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 12, 2019, 06:55 PM

My old 89 Holiday Rambler on a P30 chassis DID have a check engine light.  No computer, but there was a sensor that checked air flow in the AIR emissions system.  When I bypassed the AIR system, that stupid light came on and wouldn't go out.  So I pulled the bulb and ran it that way for years.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Rick - The "Service Engine Soon" light is part of the AIR system that is controlled by a control module (e.g. computer) and relay mounted on the inside of the drivers side engine cowling.  Same area as the fuel pump relay.  Refer to section 6E of the 87 or 88 Chevy Service manual which provides the details and wiring diagrams for the AIR system. - Dave
[move][/move]

BrandonMc

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 12, 2019, 06:55 PM

10069221 is the part number, it sits next to the fuel pump relay. It has IC chips, resistors, capacitors on a board - much a like a computer.

While we're on the topic, do you think the wire leading from the fuse block and wiring harness to the 10069221 should be showing resistance? I was checking continuity, but it didn't sound off for it - I saw resistance.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Readings would depend on where your leads are connected and what components remain connected.

With that said, you need to start a new post about your AIR system.
[move][/move]

BrandonMc