Clear Coat Respray?

Started by Ericb760, June 05, 2019, 01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ericb760

My 89 is looking a little rough on the outside. Pricing for paint, plasti-dip, or vinyl wrap just isn't cost effective based on what I paid for the RV. The clear coat has peeled off over the years but I can still see it in some places. I'm considering sanding it all off, repainting the decals, and respraying the clear coat. Is this feasible, or just another one of my pipe dreams?
1989 Winnie Chieftain 28'

Rickf1985

There was no clear coat on these. What you are thinking of is the gelcoat part of the fiberglass. You can try clear coating it but that is paint so the price will be the same as the paint you mentioned as being not cost effective.

Ericb760

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 05, 2019, 02:17 PM
There was no clear coat on these. What you are thinking of is the gelcoat part of the fiberglass. You can try clear coating it but that is paint so the price will be the same as the paint you mentioned as being not cost effective.

I am familiar with gelcoat in boats, I just don't recall seeing it flake off like on my RV. In any case, gelcoat repair appears to be an expensive proposition in itself. Do you suppose a good waxing would be an improvement?

joanfenn

Lightly sanded ours repainted stripes with tremclad paint and then used Zep floor wax on it applied by roller.  Looked great.  maybe cost 50.00 for everything
:)

Ericb760

Quote from: joanfenn on June 05, 2019, 02:51 PM
Lightly sanded ours repainted stripes with tremclad paint and then used Zep floor wax on it applied by roller.  Looked great.  maybe cost 50.00 for everything

Wow. The YT vids really showcase the Zep floor wax! Thanks for the tip.

TerryH

Quote from: joanfenn on June 05, 2019, 02:51 PM

X2 for Zep. Lots of info here from satisfied users. Just search 'zep' in entire forum.
Example:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=6194.msg57192#msg57192
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

I used the Zep on mine but just be aware that when it gets wet it turns milky. It clears up when it dries. You have to keep after it just like you would on a floor. Another route you could take is to sand it with 1000 grit paper and then 1200 grit and then compound and polish and see if you can bring the original finish back. If you wanted to or need to lose weight this will do it!!!!

joanfenn

Mine never turned milky when it got wet.  The water would bead right off.

Rickf1985

Interesting, What version of the Zep did you use? I got mine in Home Depot and it was the floor sealer but I now have an account with a commercial supply company so I can probably get about anything.

TerryH

Mine didn't turn milky either. I have some left, will dig it out and let you know.
Albus Dumbledore

joanfenn

ZEP wet look floor finish.  Step 3 commercial

TerryH

Quote from: joanfenn on June 06, 2019, 02:14 PM
ZEP wet look floor finish.  Step 3 commercial
That is what I used as well.
Albus Dumbledore