Front brake pads...

Started by tarifachris, May 26, 2019, 02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarifachris

When I was at my tire store to install my new front tires , I told them to check the grease in the front bearings and the front brake pads...The grease looked like new and the pads still have 1/2 of there profile was there answer!
Lol, I changed anyway the front brake pads - good that I changed them! Without the tire I could only see the outer facing pad's... the inner one's looked terrible! Cracked, rotted etc...
I am glad that I changed them, the braking improved considerably  !

Rickf1985

How do they "Check" the grease? You have to take the bearings out to check them so you might as well repack them at that time and you need to replace the inner hub seal.

tarifachris

Quote from: Rickf1985 on May 26, 2019, 09:39 AM
How do they "Check" the grease? You have to take the bearings out to check them so you might as well repack them at that time and you need to replace the inner hub seal.

With the front lifted they checked for play/noise/free rotation - they removed the hub cap to look
for water contamination in the excess grease!
Looked like the PO greased the bearings 10000 miles ago...
My point with the brake pads was that the outer pads are only 10mm and the inner pads are 15mm new - by
design the inner pads are working harder. My outer pads where still 5mm, but the inner pads went down to 3mm!If you check the pads visually, it will not give you the real picture.

Rickf1985

In order for the pads to wear evenly the caliper slides have to be rust free and lubricated with disc brake grease, Is is not unusual for one to wear more than the other but I have seen the outer wear more often than the inner due to improperly maintained calipers.