Better mileage!

Started by Aaarrghh, May 09, 2019, 07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaarrghh

The guy at the parts store told me how to tell if I needed plug wires - he said to look under the hood at night, and if you saw a glow around them, they needed replacing. Well, after 20 years, there was no glow. I changed the cap and rotor, and the spark plugs, but the motor still ran a little rough. So I gave it new wires. Well of course, you say, and the motor smoothed out nicely and now I get 14 mpg instead of the 11-12 I've been used to. Of course!

Just sayin'

cosmic

14 miles to the gallon.. you must have the Mercedes diesel. Hm? I cant get 8mpg down hill.. lol

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: cosmic on May 09, 2019, 07:23 PM
14 miles to the gallon.. you must have the Mercedes diesel. Hm? I cant get 8mpg down hill.. lol

Right?  My well tuned Chevy K5 Blazer with a 350 only got around 10mpg, and that was empty with no back seat.  Must be one heck of a magical engine. 

:angel:
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

He is driving a G van, it is very possible. And when I had a garage i worked on many Blazers and Broncos since they were very popular at the time and the Blazers always got right around 15 MPG. The Bronco's with the 351M engines were the gas hogs at around 12 MPG. It was my job to get these things at there best mileage so I am well aware of what they were getting. G camper vans were no different than a loaded work van and most of them averaged 12-14 depending on how they were driven. Kevin, you must have a very heavy right foot! Or you are a left foot braker.

Aaarrghh

I still have not recurved the distributor and advanced the initial timing, which from some old posts I was given to understand would help a lot. There's never an end of things to do!

Aaarrghh

Quote from: Rickf1985 on May 18, 2019, 04:01 PM
He is driving a G van, it is very possible.
It is a P20 chassis. Is that different?

Rickf1985

Not sure, Never heard of a P20 but looking at your picture I am seeing a G series van. Maybe they are calling it a P series because of the RV body?

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteIt is a P20 chassis. Is that different?

Yes, a little bit different chassis from a G Series van even though they typically had G like front end sheet metal

QuoteBlazers always got right around 15 MPG

My 1996 Blazer (4.3L) gets 17 mpg on average.
Remember, there were full size Blazers and smaller ones based on the S-10 Chassis.  Mine is the smaller one.
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

I was referring to the full size from the 70's.