Carpet Replacement

Started by LJ-TJ, May 06, 2019, 08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Morning,morning guys. Getting ready to pull the carpet out of the cockpit area of my 1975 21' Brave. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best way to do this. What type of glue did you use to reinstall the new carpet. Is there a secret to getting it all out in one piece in order to use it for a pattern. Hm? Thanks in advance.

Froggy1936

Hi TJ  , I have done mine twice , Removing the seats was the hard part , Just did the cockpit area , Put sticky 12x12 in the rest . Did not try to use old for a pattern . Just cut and fit as necc . Remove engine cover , So new goes under it , Helps tie it down , 3M spray adhesive works well (strictly follow instructions ) You can get pretty creative with this project ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

cosmic

I only did the front of mine. put sticky tile in the rest.. makes for easy sweeping out of the rig.. and by the amount of dirt I sweep out in a weekend with 2 boys and 2 dogs.  I could fill a bucket.. I used carpet glue nothing fancy. it even worked on the dog house. 12 years and still holding.. I would like to put some of that fake wood flooring over the peal and stick. that stuff has come a long ways in its look and durability..

Rickf1985

Everybody seems to want to go to the wood flooring but I guess I am just old but I like the feel of warm carpet under my feet as opposed to cold hard wood flooring. A decent vacuum will take care of the cleaning.

LJ-TJ

Hey gang thanks for all the help. What did you use for glue. It's looking like something similar to Sob's lay out with carpet at the back. Vinyl from the back of the breakfast seat out to the door. Carpet on the steps and in the cockpit area.  Hm?   

yellowrecve

Carpet really takes a beating on the steps.
RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 48 years.