What Jack for 89 Chieftain

Started by Jamo, May 01, 2019, 02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamo

So what size jack and jack stands should I have to lift up my 89, 27 foot Chieftain? Also, the motorhome came with an "L" shaped lug wrench. I was never a fan of these with passenger cars since they always seemed to slip off to one side when trying to loosen a tight lug nut. Is there a better alternative?

John
"In your guts you know he's nuts"

Rickf1985

I use a 12 ton hydraulic bottle jack and 6 to jackstands. As far as lug wrench if you have the ten lug rims and the 15/16 lug nuts then I use a large breaker bar with an extension and a socket on it. That way you can get a hand out on the end of the breaker bar and the other hand in the pivot point and lean out on the end. Or if it is really tight use the jackstand under the pivot point. If you have the eight lug rims then a good four way lug wrench works fine. You can get these in several lengths.

TerryH

You'll also need the socket and extension when you do - of course you will, right? - torque the lug nuts and re-torque after 100 miles.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Jamo

Thanks for the information. I should have asked what the torque spec is for the lug nuts.

Jamo

And Rick, what do you mean by "use the jack stand under the pivot point"?

Rickf1985

If you really need to lean on the breaker bar then you put a jack stand under the end of the extension where it comes out from the wheel level with the lug nut and this will prevent the socket from coming off of the lug nut like you described the original tool doing.

Jamo