Alternator identification, Help needed

Started by Berlin-Tioga, April 13, 2019, 01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berlin-Tioga

Dear Mr. and Ms. KnowItAll,

my alternator seems to have died. No charging any more.
I replaced the external regulator roughly on year ago after having the same issue which seemed to have solved my problem.
But now again no juice.

I took some pictures so maybe someone can help identify the exact model.
I would like to rebuild the alternator, because repairing is better than replacing! So a hint to the right overhaul kit is much appreciated.
Except for someone can recommend a well fitting replacement with more Amps!  ;)

Thank you very much in Advance!!

p.s.: If I could delete the AC at this point, I would be more than happy! So experience in this topic .... Low mount it?

Greetings from Berlin/Germany,

Ben

Rickf1985

Personally I would scrap the Chrysler setup and put in a late model one wire alternator you can source from just about any parts store or performance place. Built in regulator and all you need to hook up is the one charging wire and done. You can get them in amperage's all the way up to 250 amps but I would recommend staying at 100 or below for several reasons. One is the fact that your wiring is probably only rated for 55 amps but that can be upgraded. The other is the higher in amps the shorter the lifespan of the alternator due to the high heat they produce at high amperage's. The only time you need anything more than 100 amps is if you are running something that draws that much. Like some of these monster sound systems. As far as mounting one of these you already have the most common type of mount, You may just have to modify it to fit with spacers.

Berlin-Tioga

Thank you for your fast reply!

No monster Soundsystem, only an 280 Ah coach battery. But that one is mostly charged by solar.

So I will have a look at "one wire alternators", sounds reasonable what you are saying. 
Any recommendations for one particular? I will for sure be overstrained be the choice an variants on ebay and such.

Anybody converted to low mount alternator?

Greetings from Germany,

ben

ClydesdaleKevin

Whichever type of alternator you choose, make sure you get one that has the two-groove pulley just like the one on the alternator you are taking out.  Getting those pulleys off yourself and putting on your old ones opens up a whole other can of worms...like shaft size, etc.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

This one on Summit Racing looks like the one you are looking for, following Rick's advice.  100 amp, 2 groove V-belt pulley, one wire, internal regulator.  Recommended by Summit for a 1979 Dodge Diplomat with a 440...so should be similar to what you have.  You can also call Summit at their phone number...they are very helpful with telling you what to measure, etc. to ensure that you get the right one.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tff-8509ddp/overview/year/1979/make/dodge/model/diplomat

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

Calling from Germany could be pricey! If you want to give me the specs on your engine I can call for you. I will need engine year and size and probably the current position of the alternator. If you want to change position then you are on your own as far as building brackets unless there is a kit I don't know about.

Berlin-Tioga

Thank you for your tips! Much appreciated.

I will probably try to find something locally. Like this one:
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/generator-lichtmaschine-volvo-940-960-2-0-2-3-100a-original-dens/936360407-223-23737
Similar to your craigslist.
Since I like to delete my AC, a one groove pulley would probably work just fine.

Brackets will be custom fabricated.

Just for you info, lowmount brackets are available here:

https://www.manciniracing.com/albr1.html
https://www.dotymi.com/mopar-alternator-brackets/15-low-mount-alternator-bracket-mopar-brb-crank-trigger-model.html

ClydesdaleKevin

Just make sure there is still a belt going to your power steering...lol!  The power steering often shares the same belt with the AC.

Kev

Rickf1985

If you go with a one groove pulley do not go above 50 amps or you will overpower the belt, You will be replacing belts quite frequently. 100 amp will require two belts.

Berlin-Tioga

Thanks a lot!

Power steering pump has their own belts, no issues there.

@Rick
Good point! So I'll keep it a two groove setup.

Berlin-Tioga

Hi all,

I ordered a new alternator today. Though I was claiming to follow Ricks advice, I did not in the end and bought the half-the-price alternative with only on groove.
Which is a unit typically used in Opel Calibras and Combos, so also a mass-product seeming to work allright. Was only 62.- Euros!

I'll let you know. The good, the bad, and the bloody.

Thanks again, greetings from overseas,

Ben

Rickf1985

A lot depends on how much belt contact there is on the pulley. If it wraps 3/4 of the way around the pulley then you can probably get by with a 100 amp on a single belt but if you only have a half pulley contact you will probably have issues.

Berlin-Tioga

As I am going to delete the A/C it will be straight from the crankshaft pulley and back.
Fingers crossed ;) 🤞

Rickf1985

Then that should give you 180 degrees of belt contact and no issues. :)ThmbUp

Berlin-Tioga

To my original question:
I still would like to rebuild the original alternator to put it either in storage or maybe sell it to somebody who wants to keep his car original.
But I cannot find any rebuild kits, because I don't know the exact "name" of this unit. How could I find out?

Greetz, ben

Rickf1985

Name of the original unit, "Junk". :D :D :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao   Sorry, just couldn't resist on that one. I was never a fan of Dodge charging systems.

Berlin-Tioga

TerryH

Quote from: Rickf1985 on April 16, 2019, 04:35 PM
Name of the original unit, "Junk". :D :D :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao   Sorry, just couldn't resist on that one. I was never a fan of Dodge charging systems.

This will definitely date me, but, based upon my best recollection and pre-alternator days (think 'generator'), did not Dodge generators have to be polarized when replacing?
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

That pertained to all generators but it depended on whether they had any residual magnetism left from the last run or test. I still have to deal with that on antique vehicles I work on and very seldom do I need to polarize one.

And yes it does you old fart!

Berlin-Tioga