!-! NEW MEMBERS: Take a moment to read the forum rules. They're brief, but very important in helping you get more answers to your questions, faster!
This helps everyone get more from our forum.

Author Topic: New member  (Read 300 times)

Offline Hudsonpie

• I own: a Motor Home
  • Year: 1971
  • Make: Winnebago
  • Model: Brave
  • Chassis: Ford
  • Engine: 300cid
« on: April 13, 2019, 04:09 AM »
Hello everyone,
My name is Russ and I'm from the U.K. I'm a divorced dad of two who lives for the weekend..!

I have recently purchased a 1971 Winnebago Brave R.V...I needed a sensible vehicle for my daily commute, so I was looking at "sensible" modern cars...then my mind began to wander, and I started looking at American cars and pick-ups. Then alcohol might have happened....so I bought an R.V.

There is (some) method to my madness...I operate heavy equipment in a rock quarry, so I work long hours...my commute is only fifty miles or so but after an eleven hour day it can sometimes take me up to two hours to get home...and I also have to leave home at 4:30 in the morning.
Not only that, accommodation rates are crippling, and I have for a while resorted to sleeping in my car, which is not good.
I like my job, and I like where I live....its just the bit in between.

I love all kinds of classic and American cars, I am a petrol head, but modern stuff just does nothing for me. I buy old station wagons that are easy to work on and that I can sleep in if need be... ( I used be on the road a lot on short term contracts, but I've now landed a permanent job with a big contractor)...and modern camper vans in the UK are hideous, they just look like tupperware. Classic camper vans over here are usually over priced or rotten, and I'm not a big fan of converted vans...( there are a few cool old Dodges and Chevys for sale over here, but nothing took my fancy)...or anything that attracts a "scene" such as V.W T5's and the like.
So I decided if I was going to buy a vehicle for work, it had to be cool, had to be easy to work on, and be comfortable.
Also as a final caveat, I live in a small house that I rented after my divorce just so I could be near my kids...this was fine when they were little, but as they have grown the house has got smaller...(they live with me at weekends)...so, in my infinite wisdom, I thought a camper could double as a second bedroom at the weekend.

Hence the Winnebago.

It truly is a lovely old thing...my son, Hudson, fell in love with it on sight and he's not really a petrol head like me. I had a '64 Chevy wagon which was fun, but he wasn't in to it. It's been on my radar for a while as a dealer had it for sale about an hours drive north.
It's in really great condition with no dry rot of fungus....has been looked after. The motor was rebuilt in Texas 6000 odd miles ago and it has had a lot of work done the the brakes etc.

I love it.

So that's a bit about me and my Winnebago, and I look forward to chatting with you all.

Russ.

Online LJ-TJ

• 14 year member
  • Year: 1975
  • Model: D21
  • Chassis: Dodge
  • Engine: 440-3
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 06:49 AM »
Well you started off on the right foot anyway. You sent pictures. We LOVE pictures. Nice wheels. Welcome aboard mate. We're starting to get quite a few mates from overseas. Maybe you can all get in touch on the site here and make plans to get together over there on a weekend.  For a change a few pints might have worked in your favor. You bought a Winnebago. I'm thinking the old girl is going to work out perfectly for you. Especially if the young lads taking a shine to her. Back in the day I was in the same boat as you,divorced,two kids,on the spare board on the railroad. Ended up buying an old Travelmate motorhome. Worked like a charm. Got to spend tons of time with the kids and still had a place to sleep. Hey how much is a liter of petrol over there. We just hit $1.75 and liter here and everybody is loosing their minds. Anyway Welcome aboard. Just remember the only dumb question here is the one you don't ask. Not all of us were born mechanics. :)ThmbUp

Offline Rickf1985

• Year: 1989
  • Model: Chieftain
  • Chassis: Chevy
  • Engine: 454
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 07:39 AM »
Welcome aboard, the wheels caught my eye before the picture even fully opened. At least you are already away from the hated split ring wheels and you can use tubeless tires. Maybe they are even a standard size tire? The very first thing I would check before buying is whether it will pass your motor vehicle inspection laws over there. I have heard they can be very strict on import vehicles and sometimes require equipment that is no longer available to be found. The last thing you need is to buy it and then find out you can't register it!

Offline ClydesdaleKevin

• 11 year member
  • Year: 1995
  • Make: Itasca
  • Model: Suncruiser 32RQ
  • Chassis: Oshkosh
  • Engine: Cummings Turbo Diesel
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 08:57 AM »
Welcome aboard mate!  We hope to hear all about your adventures in the UK!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 98 Cherokee lifted beastie tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Offline Aaarrghh

• Year: 1984
  • Model: Warrior
  • Chassis: Chevy P-20
  • Engine: 350cid
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 10:14 AM »
Oh! Oh! Oh! What gorgeous find! Are there any vintage camper clubs near you? Take it and show it off, you'll be the envy of all!

Offline 007

• 5 year member
  • Year: 1973
  • Model: Indian D22
  • Engine: 440
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 11:02 AM »
welcome,good looking rig and I love the wheels :)ThmbUp

Offline Hudsonpie

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 02:30 AM »
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I thought I would have a couple of weeks of getting used to it before posting any updates.

It's certainly been an adventure...

The first journey was terrifying, I had to pilot it through Oxford traffic...but once out on the open road things got easier. Its slow...and loves gas.

We took it away for a weekend, and broke down about eight times, this was due to bad gas and the way the fuel filter was mounted...also had a bunch of crud in the float bowl. I rerouted the fuel line, added a fresh filter and shes been fine. I did get to meet a lovely woman from Wisconsin who happened to be here on holiday, while I had the carb in bits on a petrol station forecourt..!
I've also been locked out of it, the door lock just stopped working...but this seemed to cure itself.
I also had a fun time with the wipers, the original rubbers were dry rotted, so I fitted some replacement inserts...but I could not stop them "jittering" across the screens...in the end I resorted to cannibalising some wipers from a scap car, job done.

My kids love it, and it now "belongs" to my daughter at weekends, I've been staying in it during the week and it's comfortable...although I did manage to find the only gay cruising site for miles around in which to park, and got approached within ten minutes of being there...must be my good looks...!!

So apart from a few niggles, so far so good. It certainly stands out here in the U.K, some people get it, some people don't....but most reactions are positive.
I'm part of a small group called Swindon Rod'n'Custom, and hope to be attending a few shows and meets during the summer.

For now...I'm going to attempt to wake my daughter up....

Cheers.
Russ.

Online LJ-TJ

• 14 year member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 06:03 AM »
Hehehehehehe Yep! That's about the way it goes. Let the adventures begin. Hey what's a liter of petrol worth over there?

Offline cosmic

• 8 year member
  • Make: Brave
  • Chassis: Dodge M300
  • Engine: 440
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 08:50 PM »

I do see a lot of people turning their heads when I go by. but my wife says when she is following behind me in her car that they are all looking.. lol    ya some love it, some just don't understand, and some are plain ahh struck..  welcome to the  group. some long time Winnebago owners around here...
 W%

Offline plockit007

• 6 year member
  • Model: Chieftain D25CL
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 12:13 AM »
A definite welcome to the group :)ThmbUp :)clap :P

Offline Oz

• "So let it be written; so let it be done!"
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 07:37 AM »
Hello and welcome!  :) :)ThmbUp
Previously enjoyed our '74 - D24 Indian & '74 - D24 Indian Custom

Offline Hudsonpie

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 08:57 AM »
Hehehehehehe Yep! That's about the way it goes. Let the adventures begin. Hey what's a liter of petrol worth over there?
A litre of fuel is about £1.30 at the moment...

Offline Hudsonpie

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 09:16 AM »
^Thanks guys...^

Here is a little update....

So far so good...kind of, the Winnebago is running good, I've used it almost every day since I bought it.
This weekend I pulled the fuel tank out of it as I had a pretty bad leak...all the rubber lines were old and cracked. The sender unit has seen better days and the float is missing, I think I can make it work again and have ordered a float from the States...it was only a few bucks.
I need a fuel filler neck hose, 22 inches long with a 45mm internal bore...should be able to get this through work as we deal with construction equipment. The trouble with the U.K is you cant just buy the length of hose you need,...and all the good junkyards are all but gone.

So the rubber part of the filler neck is Heath Robinson repaired for now...

If anyone can give me an idea of the best electronic ignition kit to fit I will be truly grateful.

Been working long hours...so just doing bits and pieces when I can.

Cheers.

Russ.

Proud to be a:

Visit and take the Virtual Tour!

RVMH Hall of Fame
Lifetime Member

FULL Membership!

Want to start enjoying all the benefits  Full Membership has to offer?

Become a Full

Want to enjoy your

Full Membership

without ever having

to renew?

Become a:

RV Buying Checklist

Looking to buy a used RV?
Don't go unprepared!

Print this checklist so you
know the real condition of that "dream" RV:

RV Buyer's Checklist