Chevy P30 not starting without starter fluid

Started by MyRVWontStart, April 12, 2019, 06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyRVWontStart

Hello,

I'm a 25 year old who received a 1990 Fleetwood Pace Arrow from my Dad's coworker. A lot works great, however a lot doesn't.

It needs to pass emissions, but before I worry about that there is one small issue.

To start it I need to use starter fluid, however once started it runs great. What would this be and how do I go about troubleshooting it?

I'm mechanically inclined, but not a expert mechanic (especially when it comes to RVs).

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Clint

Rickf1985

Is the choke working? That is what is needed to start it when it is cold. Try pumping the gas four or five times before starting also when cold.

MyRVWontStart

I will try next time I'm at the RV storage. Thank you.

However I am in Arizona so don't know if that would be the cause.

Shawn62

Is the engine fuel injected or does it have a carburetor?

Rickf1985

A 1990 would be built on an 89 chassis and carburetted. I have the same unit. He has to pump the gas at least once to set the choke and usually more than once to get some gas in there. I assume the reference to Arizona would mean it is warm there? You still need the choke to start a cold engine.

Aaarrghh

Dittos on the choke. My '83 350 is touchy about the choke setting. On these warmer mornings it nearly refused to start, with the choke on a winter setting. I changed the setting richer just one mark, and now it starts fine.

One other thing I noticed, that with the winter setting, the motor vibrated noticeably during warmup. Not good. The vibration went away with the richer setting.

If the choke setting is the only problem, I'd begin with a rich setting, then lean it out to the point the motor has trouble starting, then back it up a mark.

Right, Rick?

Rickf1985

Yes and no, I am assuming that the new owner has never dealt with carburetors so has no idea about how they work. You have to remember that most people younger than 30 have never driven a vehicle without computer controlled engines and fuel injection. Fuel injection started on cars in the early 80's, thirty seven years ago! Carburetors were completely gone by 1991. The first thing is to narrow down the problem before trying to fix it. The second thing is that unless the carburetor has already been modified then the choke adjustment hold downs are rivets and as such are not adjustable. Same with the idle mixture settings. This would be one of the last emissions carbs. This is all assuming it even still has the original carb on it.
One step at a time and in the proper order, if you start jumping around this just takes a lot longer and costs more.

Aaarrghh

Ugh! So complex! Shows my age, I guess. Love my older 'bago, so much simpler. No electronic gismos other than electronic ignition, which means I don't have to bother with points. Now, what the heck are they, you ask?

Rickf1985

Contact breaker points with a setting of around .016 unless it is a Ford with .019 and dwell readings of around 30 degrees =/- 2 degrees?

You mean those? :D

I am probably older than you think

Rickf1985

I worked on a few Model A's when I had my shop, albeit they were antiques by then. :)rotflmao  Sorry Frank. D:oH!  I also worked on a couple Model T's and starting one of them was a real learning experience. Hand throttle, hand set timing and hand crank unless you had the super deluxe model. My older Harley Davidsons all had timing retard on the left hand grip and kick start, manual choke and pump the gas. And if you did not get that combination just right it either did not start OR............. it kicked back and either broke your knee or put you in another time zone! Yea, starting cars nowadays is just no fun at all. :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

Shawn62

Quote from: Rickf1985 on April 13, 2019, 08:24 AM
A 1990 would be built on an 89 chassis and carburetted. I have the same unit. He has to pump the gas at least once to set the choke and usually more than once to get some gas in there. I assume the reference to Arizona would mean it is warm there? You still need the choke to start a cold engine.

My 1987 Fleetwood is on a 1987 Chassis as per the VIN. I have seen 1987 Fleetwood on a 1986 chassis.  I know TBI could be had on some 1990 P30 454s. He should check VIN for the chassis year model.   I know what you mean. Some of the 2016 Thor Motorhomes are built on 2015 F53 chassis and donââ,¬â,,¢t have the 6 speed transmission.

thomas

IM reading some of this later! was RICK  saying somthing about modeA and being older than we think?? I didnt catch it all?? thanks THOMAS

Rickf1985

The chassis is usually a year older than the coach since they buy the chassis and then it takes a year to get the rest of it all together. Your coach was built in 86, I will bet that if you check the Chevy serial number for the chassis you will find it is a 85 chassis.

tmsnyder

Another '2 posts and gone' member?  Seems he hasn't been back.

Rickf1985

Probably followed the advice and it started, most people never do follow up with the "fix".

tmsnyder

My new unit has instructions for how to start it in various situations.  Quadrajet.  Cold, hot, winter summer...

Aaarrghh

Quote from: tmsnyder on April 25, 2019, 09:14 AM
My new unit has instructions for how to start it in various situations.  Quadrajet.  Cold, hot, winter summer...
Yeah, quadrajet. After a few days of not running, all the gas leaks out of the float bowl, and you think it's never going to start. Crank..crank..crank...hope nobody's hearing this...

Froggy1936

This is a common Quadrajet problem (among others) Best thing is find a experience carburetor repairman other option is get the book and fix it yourself !Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

If you bowl is in fact draining you have to take the carb apart and epoxy the plugs that cover the main jet passages. That is where they leak down from. As Frank said it is a very common problem.

Aaarrghh

Did those things a couple years back, found a You Tube about it. They said to smack the lead plugs to reseat them, which I did, and I also used the epoxy. The problem came back in a half year or so. I don't much feel like taking the carb off and apart, again. I just live with it. Pumping the pedal helps to get it started.

Rickf1985

You will always have to pump the pedal a few times on any carbureted engine when cold. Even if the choke is working if you want it to start right away it needs that extra gas.

c farmer

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 08, 2019, 06:56 PM
You will always have to pump the pedal a few times on any carbureted engine when cold. Even if the choke is working if you want it to start right away it needs that extra gas.

2 pumps on mine and she fires right up.  Not sure what carb it is thou.    W%