Why should I not eventually buy one of these?

Started by fasteddie313, March 24, 2019, 12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

Quote from: fasteddie313 on March 29, 2019, 02:56 PM
IDK.. I google search "type 16 brake chamber" and tons of them come up but I would have to actually see one to see if they are the same..

I have had this ine on watch for a while and it is ending in 4 hours.. [size=78%]https://www.ebay.com/itm/223457735807?ul_noapp=true[/size]

Not that I am buying anything anytime soon.. I'm just studying..

It is obvious that the price range you are looking at is about 25 pay grades above what I can afford. I like looking at them though. Maybe I will be the next guy to win 750 million in the lottery!

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on March 29, 2019, 04:08 PM

The problem with tour buses is that they are set up with bunks to sleep many people and house many people. Not really the ideal setup for a motor home. And I am guessing the fuel pump he is talking about is the injection pump, a lift pump is not that much money. An injection pump PLUS installation can be several grand.

Thanks Rick!  I don't know much about these coaches.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

fasteddie313

Quote from: Rickf1985 on March 29, 2019, 04:11 PM

It is obvious that the price range you are looking at is about 25 pay grades above what I can afford. I like looking at them though. Maybe I will be the next guy to win 750 million in the lottery!

$30k is a VERY cheap house..
Don't you have a house? I bet you could afford one if you decided you wanted one instead of a house, no?
How much would you spend on an RV if you were to use it as your actual house?

I will probably buy another house here before buying one of these things, if I ever do..
Long term schemes..
I don't want to be around here in the winter forever.. It looks like we will need to be around here for the summer season, and it is nice here then, but if we can just leave for the winter, just what we would save in heat would pay for fuel, and winter sucks a lot.
Their is still so much snow I can't get my cars out, and the lakes are still mostly froze over. Last year blizzards didn't end until mid/late-April!

Rickf1985

If I were to sell my house and move into an RV full time then there is no question that I would buy a bus chassis RV. I don't think I would buy a Prevost though. That is like buying a Mercedes or even a better comparison would be a Cadillac Escalade. Think about it, An Escalade  is nothing more than a Chevy Tahoe with more trim and three times the price tag BUT, Here is the kicker, when you go to buy parts for an Escalade you pay Cadillac prices but the same parts for a Tahoe are half the price. Same thing with the Prevost, If you buy a GM bus conversion you get the same parts at half the price.
But the other thing you need to keep in mind is any major service you will need. In a house major service will be much cheaper than it will be at a truck repair place. I am disabled and I cannot do the heavy work anymore so I have to pay someone to do tires, brakes and even oil changes on something that big. So you have to balance things out. If you have the income than go for what you can afford but be sure you have the continuing income to support it down the road.

LJ-TJ

How about your eyes are bigger than your pension check  :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

TerryH

It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

Amen to that. If I am to go that route it would have to be a very well maintained bus with a fairly recent engine overhaul, Within the last 50-75,000 miles. Paint would have to be good since painting one of these is very expensive. Boat paint just don't cut it on stainless steel and aluminum. Suspension and steering would have to be fully up to date and tight. Those are the main and and most expensive repair parts. If all of that is documented as done then you are good for many miles of trouble free cruising.

ClydesdaleKevin

I know this one is about 40 years older than your suggested age range...but here is a 1948 Greyhound conversion that doesn't look like it has bunks.  If nothing else, it is pretty neat looking!  25K.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/rvs/d/phoenix-motorcoach/6835398399.html

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

That thing is 5 years older than me!!!! I know what condition I am in so I can just imagine what condition that is in! N:( N:( :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Rick!

Here's one that is only as old as me...1968.  With a Cummings engine!

Looks pretty nice for 15K.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/rvs/d/ehrenberg-crown-40ft-1968-bus-rv/6855509944.html

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

LJ-TJ

Well I'd say if you planing on going down that road. Then start looking a Blue Bird Wonderlodges. Or maybe a an older N.A.S.C.A.R. Foretraveler.
https://www.rvt.com/Foretravel-Motorcoach-Grand-Villa-Unihome-367r-1994-Laurens-SC-ID8512791-UX301820

Rickf1985

Well, Now we are getting some really interesting bus conversions to look at! Both of those that Kevin put up are good candidates although I would lean towards the 64 just because of parts availability. I do like the 68 due to the fact that it is well set up for a working man ans also has all of those homey touches that you see in well loved coaches.

legomybago

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on April 01, 2019, 01:23 PM
LOL Rick!

Here's one that is only as old as me...1968.  With a Cummings engine!

Looks pretty nice for 15K.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/rvs/d/ehrenberg-crown-40ft-1968-bus-rv/6855509944.html

Kev

I've been watching this one for months....I love the "shop" in the rear compartment. Im a Crown nut also. The old lady said no to it though....
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

fasteddie313

Tools!
Remember this?

Quote from: Rickf1985 on August 31, 2015, 08:08 PMEverything was good until you threw out the "easily a half ton of tools" thing! These things are pretty much maxed out as they sit, the basement compartments are for light items like toys and tents and camping gear. As far as the trailer goes, another problem. The hitch on this coach was designed to pull a toad, a small car on a two bar or a dolly. Max tongue load is 250 lbs. and max trailer weight is 3500 lbs. . If you look up under there you will see the frame has been extended about 6 feet and the welds are really poor on the drivers side and on the passenger side the main frame ends at the last compartment and gets split into sections, one of which is at 90 degrees to the rest of the frame. Needless to say that is not conducive to a heavy pull. If you put too much weight on the hitch you could actually pull the whole rear end down and open the top right up at the rear cap. You will not be able to make a rolling workshop out of it, that is for sure.

That was talking about a winnebago.
I need a bus with a basement fit to host a shop!
Quote from: Rickf1985 on September 01, 2015, 07:03 AM
To do what you are wanting to do you are going to have to look at something like a bus conversion that has a much higher gross weight and is set up to carry more weight down below.

I hear BlueBird owners saying they are impossible to find parts for..

That foretravel..
It's beautiful yeah but it doesn't look like a tank.. Is that fiberglass laminated exterior walls? Not much of a basement, not really what I'm looking for..
I'm not looking for a fancy interior and luxury, I'm looking for a bulletproof tank of a shell and chassis that I can put whatever I want in, and pull whatever I want with.. A generator big enough to run a welder is also a huge plus.

Rickf1985

Yup. I remember saying that, And you see what I said about this one. Although the acetylene tanks might be a bit much! W%
I wouldn't think Blue Bird parts would be all that hard to find since the military used those buses up into the 2000's. They may actually still be using them, I am not sure but they were purpose made for airlift in C5's. I have not worked on them myself so I don't personally know.

legomybago

Blue Bird ran the school bus market her in the Norhtwest in the mid 90's-through??? I think a billion were probably made.

ClydesdaleKevin

ClydesdaleKevin

Here is a 1961 bus conversion with a Detroit Diesel in the Phoenix area.  Rear bedroom.  It looks SWEET for 15K!

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/rvs/d/1961-crown-coach-bus-40-converter-into/6843475570.html

Kev

legomybago

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on April 05, 2019, 11:13 PM
Here is a 1961 bus conversion with a Detroit Diesel in the Phoenix area.  Rear bedroom.  It looks SWEET for 15K!

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/rvs/d/1961-crown-coach-bus-40-converter-into/6843475570.html

Kev

This one has been for sale for many many months, the price needs more fixing......

Rickf1985

There is a traveling mechanic that makes his living traveling around working on these older buses. Here is a video of his that will give you an idea of what is involved in working on these things. I suggest you watch several of his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wsP92qyoTQ

tmsnyder

There's a guy with a 1986 Holiday Rambler Imperial 38' diesel pusher for sale on facebook 'vintage holiday ramblers for sale' page.  $14k  It has a Cat diesel. Let me know if you want to talk to him I'll get his contact info for you.

Rickf1985

Very tempting but the age would worry me due to the normal stuff like body leaks and rust and also the Cat engine. While Cats are great engines you have to have REALLY deep pockets to own one. If anything ever goes wrong it will bankrupt you.

legomybago

Rick!! Thanks for the Bus Grease Monkey youtube link. I think I've watched ALL of his posts now....Im addicted.

Rickf1985

A LOT of those bus people are going to be hurting when he quits ding that service.