Re: Rims 19.5x6.75

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, March 12, 2019, 09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Oliver GER on March 12, 2019, 12:42 PM
Hello,
does somebody know how to get 19.5x6.75 for my 91 Chieftain (P30 chassis 10 lug). It is more or less impossible to get tires for the 6" rims here in Germany

I'm pretty sure the tire/rim size should be 8r X 19.5 (8r19.5) on a P30 chassis with 10 lug rims.  Sampson is a good and affordable Chinese made tire that we had great luck with (and we put on a lot of miles), and Sumitomo is another good option, made in Japan (this is what we put on our "new" RV, so we don't have a lot of miles on them yet...but so far so good!).

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Michelin also makes 8r19.5 tires, and they are made in France.  They cost a lot more, but you shouldn't have a hard time finding Michelins in Germany.  Continental Tires also used to be made in Germany, but I'm not sure if they are anymore, or if they even make an 8r19.5 tire.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

And...here you go!  A Sumitomo tire dealer in Germany.   :D :D :D :D :D

http://www.sumitomo-tyres.com/

Kev

Oliver GER

Thy,
but the problem is there is no chance to get an US or a for US market produced tire legal on the road. Stupid lawers want a E sign on the tire.
I can use and buy here 245/70r19.5 tires but this will require 6.75" or 7" rims
regards

Oliver from Germany

Rickf1985

Wider rims and wider tires will cause issues with the dual tires touching each other on the back. Then you would need spacers between the rims and if they are that anal about the tires they certainly are not going to allow spacers!!

ClydesdaleKevin

Hey Oliver.  The Sumitomo 8r19.5 tires are load rated "F", which is heavier duty than "E", so you should be good.  I found the load rating on this website (click "additional information" and the specs come up).

https://extremewheels.com/product/sumitomo-st-718-8r19-5/

And since there is a Sumitomo dealer in Germany, you should be good to go. 

Kev

TerryH

European requirements for tires and rims are based upon the ETRTO - European Tyre and Rim Technological Organization.
Their code designations are not identical to those in North America.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: TerryH on March 14, 2019, 01:01 AM
European requirements for tires and rims are based upon the ETRTO - European Tyre and Rim Technological Organization.
Their code designations are not identical to those in North America.

Ah.  So they have bureaucracies just like America...lol!  I would still contact the German Sumitomo store to ask if they have a ETRTO compliant tire in 8r19.5 size, or close to it.  Maybe Sumitomo greased enough palms over at the ETRTO to have some equivalent for the German market.  It is worth the call at least. 

Kev

Sasquatch

Another option.  I swapped from 8R 19.5 tires to 225/70/19.5 a long time ago.  In fact, I am on my second set of this size on my old Executive.  Huge improvement in steering and road control over the 8R's at a cost of a bit shorter gearing as they are shorter.  No problem with clearance on the duals.

Rickf1985

Would you say the change in gearing was enough to be able to change to 4.11's and get the same rpm's as the 4.56's?

Oliver GER

@Sasquatch
I would like to do this but this tires are also not realy to get here :-(

@Rickf1985
Sorry I don't understand what you mean :-(
regards

Oliver from Germany

Rickf1985

You don't know what I mean as far as the tires touching or the gear change to 4.11 gears?

Oliver GER

sorry, yes.
I know that the conversation to 225/70r19.5 or 245/70r19.5 is possible because some guys did this here. There a rims for the 245er without spacer for the rear.
We have this safety inspection called TÃÅ"V they will check every year everything on the vehicle (cars every 2 years) if you change the tires size they will check an sign this in the papers. I was there and got the information that the conversation was done in the past.
regards

Oliver from Germany