Author Topic: What is this part?  (Read 256 times)

Offline Fiddelm3742

• I own: a Motor Home
  • Year: 1993
  • Make: Winnebago
  • Model: Warrior WCD25RU
  • Chassis: Chevy
  • Engine: 454
What is this part?
« on: March 18, 2019, 06:24 PM »
Here's the brief back story. We got our 1993 Winnebago Warrior (25ft on the Chevy P30) at the end of last season. Only driven it on a few short trips (15 miles or less) After those trips I immediately thought, wow this thing hadles so loosely it's almost scary. Well the RV has been resting for the winter I went off an researched a few ways to improve the handling. Long story short I got a saf-t-plus and some new bushings for the front sway bar(the old ones were almost completely gone)
So I go out to the RV today and pop under it real quick to look around as I need to measure  the tie rod so I can get the correct mount. While I was rooting around I saw something that I didn't recognize. Is it some sort of steering dampener? No clue of it's stock or what. I mean, I dont want 2 stabilizers if I don't need the extra stuff. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm mechcanically inclined but I certainly don't know all of the bits and pieces.
i uploaded a brief video and welcome any information or any light that you could shed on this for me. 
https://youtu.be/lSu0ONcc65s

Offline ClydesdaleKevin

• 11 year member
  • Year: 1995
  • Make: Itasca
  • Model: Suncruiser 32RQ
  • Chassis: Oshkosh
  • Engine: Cummings Turbo Diesel
Re: What is this part?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 07:46 PM »
Okay, so I watched the video, and have no idea what your exact question is.  The steering stabilizer is that long piston rod connected to the front of your RV behind the bumper, as seen in the first part of your video.  The big stabilizer, the one between your wheels/coil springs, is the factory Safe-T-Plus.  I don't see any other stabilizers or safety devices in your video.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 98 Cherokee lifted beastie tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Offline Fiddelm3742

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 08:39 PM »
Sorry, I figured that would be the case and that I was probably using incorrect terminology.
I was asking about the Piston that was bolted to the bumper. So that is likely the stock steering stabilizer? And a normal part for any RV. Then yes there's the coil sprimg/air bag, and you can see the sway bar towards the end(missing bushings and all). I guess I was just curious what this part was. i wanted to make sure that me purchasing a saf t plus steering stabilizer wouldn't be a waste. I'm guessing my best bet would be to remove the stock dampener/stabilizer when I install the saf t plus

Offline tmsnyder

• Year: 1976
  • Make: GMC Motorhome
  • Model: Eleganza II
  • Chassis: GMC
  • Engine: 455
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 11:45 PM »
Steering stabilizer, like a shock absorber for left and right motion on your steering.  $20 from Rock Auto. 

Offline Rickf1985

• Year: 1989
  • Model: Chieftain
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 08:45 AM »
On the P30's the biggest problem with loose steering comes from the idler arm bell cranks there are two of them, you are looking at one of them as it is what that stabilizer is attached to. The bell crank is what is bolted to the frame. These have bushings in them that wear and at one time were replaceable, they are no longer available. The other bell crank is on the other frame rail. If you have someone rock the steering hard enough to just make the sires start to turn a little on the pavement I will bet you see side to side movement at the bottom of those idlers. If you do they are bad. You will need to replace them with Supersteer Bellcranks. These have tapered roller bearings instead of bushings. The link below is just to show what they are, shop around for best price but I can tell you they are not cheap.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/SuperSteer-Bell-Crank-p/p3032.htm

Offline Fiddelm3742

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 04:47 PM »
Thanks for all of the great information!!  You weren't kidding about the price of those Bell Cranks. Wowza!
I definitely have some things to look at now.  Thanks for helping clear things up for me.  Much appreciated.

Offline Rickf1985

• Year: 1989
  • Model: Chieftain
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 05:30 PM »
The drivers side is the one that always goes first but if you have play on both sides you might as well bite the bullet and get both since it will never stop wandering with play there.

FULL Membership!

Want to start enjoying all the benefits  Full Membership has to offer?

Become a Full

Want to enjoy your

Full Membership

without ever having

to renew?

Become a:

* Salvage Yards

Find
RV Salvage Yards

By STATE

* Chevy VIN Decoder

Want to know what your Chevy VIN means?