440 exhaust nuts?

Started by postman, March 13, 2019, 10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postman

:)rotflmao  it really shows!

I am just glad the manifolds arent cracked and all the studs came out. I am thinking of wrapping these nuts in Reynolds wrap. Anyone seen these nuts before?

LJ-TJ

Yep! Scary isn't it. Imagine snapping one of those off. D:oH!

BamBam

Those are just oversized spacers basically, don't lose them and make sure you put it back together the way it came apart. Good Luck

postman

Quote from: LJ-TJ on March 14, 2019, 09:05 AM
Yep! Scary isn't it. Imagine snapping one of those off. D:oH!

Yep, if you look close at the left one you'll see the exhaust manifold stud that broke loose rather that giant cap nut. One of the other ones like this I held the stud with vice grips and torqued the cap nut and of course it smoothed off the threads. I ordered stud kit and it has arrived. I am going to make my own thread chaser. I will locktite on reassembly.

Later I will post a pic of the passenger side with a built in butterfly valve that needs some discussion. I can't believe the logic of a built in butterfly valve, and NO exhaust manifold flange to pipe gasket!

OHHH!  DAVE!!!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Do not loctite.  Just use anti-seize (bolts protrude into water jacket and can freeze in place so only anti-seize is used).   Do not over torque.  Will crack the manifold for sure.  Yes that low torque value is for real (something like 10 or 15 if I recall correctly).
[move][/move]

BamBam

Quote from: postman on March 14, 2019, 03:40 PM

Later I will post a pic of the passenger side with a built in butterfly valve that needs some discussion. I can't believe the logic of a built in butterfly valve, and NO exhaust manifold flange to pipe gasket!

OHHH!  DAVE!!!

It's a Mopar, you can't question their logic and the way they did things. The manifold had no gaskets to the block as well as the pipe, it is what it is with Mopars. The butterfly valve was to divert heat to the manifold to warm to motor up quicker. If the coiled spring is broke or missing, you can just safety wire the valve open with no issues. That is if it's not rusted shut. Good Luck

postman

WOW                                                                         WOW
And to think they put this motor in a variety of boats at 50% power just cruising. Makes you wonder how many hours they held together. ???

Brings to mind the theme for the U.S.S. Minnow. Pics to come.

postman

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on March 14, 2019, 06:09 PM
Do not loctite.  Just use anti-seize (bolts protrude into water jacket and can freeze in place so only anti-seize is used).   Do not over torque.  Will crack the manifold for sure.  Yes that low torque value is for real (something like 10 or 15 if I recall correctly).

OHHH! DAVE!!!  W%

Where can I find those torque specs? OKAY anti-seize it is  ??? , sounds like you've been there done that. Took nuts to machine shop. They decided it was likely the exhaust studs would break anyways, so they are gonna drill them out on a lathe and chase the threads with a plug tap. If worse gets to worse they have the example to make new ones.  D:oH!

TerryH

Quote from: postman on March 14, 2019, 07:49 PM
WOW                                                                         WOW
And to think they put this motor in a variety of boats at 50% power just cruising. Makes you wonder how many hours they held together. ???

Brings to mind the theme for the U.S.S. Minnow. Pics to come.

Had a 1966 Pacemaker Pilot House 44' that I bought in 1990. Lived aboard and cruised on her every year until 2011.
Average yearly hours were +- 1500. A lot for a 'recreational' boat.
She had twin 440's.
Other than expected replacement of  consumable parts and normal maintenance I never had a problem with either engine.
I have far more experience with GM than I do with Mopar, but for a big block marine.........definitely Mopar.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Rickf1985

Leave it to Dave to have the Dodge part numbers! :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp

LJ-TJ

:)ThmbUp Thanks to you two I'm getting the 440-10 back in shape. Couldn't do it with out you guys. Thanks a million times over.

postman

BINGO :)clap :)ThmbUp  DaveVA78Chieftain                                                                                   DaveVA78Chieftain Found the torque specs in the felpro box. There was about 1/4" dust on the box, about 40 years worth. :)rotflmao h.

LJ-TJ cool. I in my youth, went too several performance boat events. One was a cigarette? boat race in the gulf of Mx, I got to be on an offshore rig which was the return leg way point. It took maybe two minutes for him to slowdown to turn around the rig still at a pretty good clip.  Stenciled on the hull "Twin 440". Looked closer to see blower on each. I still remember the thunder when he hit those blowers. "CHIT&GIT" We could still hear him when he was outta sight and the rest of the pack rounded the rig. I thought I heard it was a world record time and speed.

Thats when chrysler earned my respect.

Rickf1985

Lets see, In TJ's youth, so that was wooden boats and the world record was what? 80 MPH? :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

You did not think I was gonna let that opportunity go did you? :D ;)

DaveVA78Chieftain

I take it you found:
Exhaust manifold to head: 20ft lbs
Exhaust pipe to exhaust manifold: 50ft lbs

This all in the Dodge MH Service manual available in the site store (Dodge Service Manuals)

BTW there are:
Stock FELPRO exhaust gaskets
Copper racing exhaust gaskets
Aluminum SUper sealing exhaust gaskets

I had a warped manifold and doubled up stock gaskets.
[move][/move]

joanfenn

Abel:  The way the conversation is going.  Enough said. 

postman

Can I buy at the site store or do I need a joanfenn hall pass?

postman

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on March 19, 2019, 10:06 PM
I take it you found:
Exhaust manifold to head: 20ft lbs
Exhaust pipe to exhaust manifold: 50ft lbs

This all in the Dodge MH Service manual available in the site store (Dodge Service Manuals)

BTW there are:
Stock FELPRO exhaust gaskets
Copper racing exhaust gaskets
Aluminum SUper sealing exhaust gaskets

I had a warped manifold and doubled up stock gaskets.

You left one out the one I bought with the STOCK heat shield. Picture coming

DaveVA78Chieftain

Far as I know you can buy in the store.  Bonus for the 3 manual set ($24.95) is you get a full year membership to boot.
[move][/move]

postman

Speaking of boot! I will have to consider that carefully while joanfenn is polishing her BANHAMMER  :P  What does a lifetime cost? i??

DaveVA78Chieftain

At the top of this page, select the store menu button and all will be revealed :)
[move][/move]

TerryH

If you check under Joan's name you will see her title:

"Administrator". 
Hopefully self explanatory.
Should you click on the "Forum Rules" tab:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=rules
and scroll down, you will see "Forum Conduct". Suggested reading.

As for:

Quote from: postman on March 19, 2019, 11:11 PM
Maybe we are building the wall on the wrong border...  .....  .........

I am curious if you are even remotely aware that this Forum is, whether by design or not, multi national.

Take a read of my profile signature - small font at the bottom of my post. Quote from a very intelligent man who lived a hell of a long time ago. Despite the age of the quote still very applicable today.
Best of luck.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Oz

Postman has been banned from the community
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca