How do RV Ice Makers work?

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, December 06, 2008, 10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Hey guys,

We found 2 RV ice makers at the junkyard, and I was thinking of pulling one and installing it in Excalibur...How do they work?  Are they like the RV refrigerators, using ammonia and hydrogen, or do they use a compressor like household fridges?  They both seem in decent shape, and if they work, they would save us a lot of money on ice...lol!

Anyone know how these things work, and if you have to vent them like an RV fridge?

Thanks!
Kev and Patti
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

I answered my own question:  They work with small compressors like a household freezer, and need no extra vents than the one on the front.

And unfortunately, upon closer inspection, the two at the junkyard are a no-go:  The one I took a picture of has all of its copper tubing severely corroded, with rust all over the back once I removed it, so I didn't even bother pulling it any further...and the other one, a Dometic, is just SO grungy and nasty that even if I wanted to pull it and clean it up, Patti would have been grossed out WAY too much. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.