New captain and passenger seats

Started by tmsnyder, March 03, 2019, 12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsnyder

I'm kicking around the idea of swapping out the captains and passenger seats on our RV for _new_ seats, but this doesn't seem to be something that is too commonly done.  I put about 15,000 miles on the Honda Odyssey seats from a junkyard.   They're not bad, but I like travelling in the RV and I could see doing this on into the future, even if we switch RVs into a newer one and/or a smaller one, we could take the seats with us to the next unit.  So I'm thinking about making an improvement.  The nearest camping world carrying seats is about 250 miles away.    Our local one doesn't have any to look at.   Talking to a friend from HS that's a truck driver, his advice was to visit one of the Pilot rest areas that have a display of seats, but those were several hundred miles away. 

I just can't see ordering a set of seats without actually trying them out first. 

I guess one option might be to visit an RV store and sit in the seats of their new RV, just to see what they are and how comfortable they are, then order that seat if it turns out it's something we like. 

Any other ideas?

Rickf1985

I would say truck salvage yards but two things come to mind. First you are very unlikely to find a matching pair of custom seats since most trucks have one real good seat and one so-so seat. The other is that the good seats will disappear quickly from those yards since the truckers are always on waiting lists to replace worn seats. One other thing is that you would have to have air in your RV for the air ride seats. I think people are finding that plush seating is not as comfortable on long rides as seats with firmer cushions made from memory foam. BUT, They have to be real, high quality memory foam and that stuff ain't cheap!!!

tmsnyder

I'm not thinking used, we are considering buying brand new and yes they are not cheap.  Around 1000 a seat or more depending on the options like 6 way power adjust, lumbar, recline with leg rest, heated, and even back massage while you go down the road.  Any ideas for shopping for a new seat like this?  Before shelling out that much cash I'd at least like to put my butt in a similar model but there's no showroom of seats around here.    Except if I go sit in them at a new RV store and end up liking one of those seats.   Any other ideas for getting my butt in a new RV seat in the Western NY area?

Rickf1985

Like was said, Truck supply places can be another place to look. I am sure they also have electric seat options. I know in my 89 Chieftain the brochure shows that the seats swivel to face the main area. Not so. The seat belts are attached to the bottom of the seats and they are not going to let you turn without a ton of hassle plus if you try to turn the seatback interferes with the side of the vehicle. You first have to run the seat all the way forward so you clear the side with the seat back and now there is no way your feet or legs are going to clear the dog box since the seat is jammed against that. I don't know what kind or coach you have but look closely at the space you are working in and consider all of that before dumping a ton of money on seats with things like footrests!

On the other note about massage, I used to drive a Kenworth W900 Aerodyne that had all kinds of custom goodies in it and one the best was a seat that had a roller that went from your neck all the way down to the back of your legs, up and down. I never used it while driving because it WILL put you to sleep! I have pictures of that truck somewhere, they are actual photographs since this was long before digital. I will try to find them. No promises since I have many boxes of pics!

LJ-TJ

I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I find the motor home seats to be big. I'm looking for smaller ones so they can be pivoted 360 degrees. I found my best bet is to go to the auto wreckers. You can sit in all the seats you want. Some are pretty amazing. Especially the seats out of the Cadillacs and they wont cost you $1000.00. If you have a car with seat that you like and can sit in for hours on end just go to the wreckers get a pair and mount them. Some body on here go beautiful set of white seats out of something that they had posted on here. They just never said what they were out of. Hm?

iamcaper

Quote from: tmsnyder on March 03, 2019, 12:12 PM

I'm kicking around the idea of swapping out the captains and passenger seats on our RV for _new_ seats, but this doesn't seem to be something that is too commonly done.  I put about 15,000 miles on the Honda Odyssey seats from a junkyard.   They're not bad, but I like travelling in the RV and I could see doing this on into the future, even if we switch RVs into a newer one and/or a smaller one, we could take the seats with us to the next unit.  So I'm thinking about making an improvement.  The nearest camping world carrying seats is about 250 miles away.    Our local one doesn't have any to look at.   Talking to a friend from HS that's a truck driver, his advice was to visit one of the Pilot rest areas that have a display of seats, but those were several hundred miles away. 

get them upholstered here are my fleury seats cost me $500 https://youtu.be/58G6OuwYtB0

I just can't see ordering a set of seats without actually trying them out first. 

I guess one option might be to visit an RV store and sit in the seats of their new RV, just to see what they are and how comfortable they are, then order that seat if it turns out it's something we like. 

Any other ideas?

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao Love the videos. Keep'm coming. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think you got one sweet ride there. Tickity Boo D:oH! I thought I was the only used that expression. Wish I lived closer I'd have got your buddy to do over my Winnebago seat. They turned out sweet and the price was excellent. :)ThmbUp

iamcaper

that was Canadian lol with the exchange it would probably be about four bucks lol.
thanks for the kind words,these old rv's have character and are well built!

the library in Saskatoon Saskatchewan posted these negatives to help  me to restore it .

used them in a short when I was starting to learn how to do video! https://youtu.be/iZs3OzMVF-I

Rickf1985

Wouldn't it be funny if you somehow found out that the one in the video was yours?