Why does Atwood water heater b EHM6-SM have antifreeze in it?

Started by Mypinkrocket, February 24, 2019, 06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mypinkrocket

Hello all! I am new to the Winnebago ownership,  I have a question about a water heater ehm6-sm.
It has antifreeze in it! Why? This water heater didn't come with my rv. It came off a 1983 Itasca r v. And can this heater
Be put in my Minnie Winnie 1978 royal sportsman

Rickf1985

It would have antifreeze in it to keep it from freezing and breaking when installed. I am assuming you bought this used from a wrecking yard maybe? Is the antifreeze pink RV antifreeze or green automotive? Either way it can be used but if automotive antifreeze was used you have to be sure you rinse it out very well and then wash it out with hot soapy water and rinse again, even better to repeat with the soap and water and rinse a second time to be sure all of the antifreeze is out. RV antifreeze is non toxic and a simple flush will work but if it was bought used the rinse, wash and repeat is a good idea since you do not know what was in it. As far as it fitting, I can't tell you that since I don't know what was in your unit before.

DaveVA78Chieftain

The Atwood EHM6-SM is not a standard RV Water Heater.  It is a electric only water heater that is typically only used in Marine applications where propane is not available.  It typically has an engine heat option included. 

Can you use it?  Sure as long as it fits in the available space and you do not desire a propane burner option (110VAC only).

Antifreeze:  Is this in the water heater portion (pink antifreeze [non toxic]) or in the engine heat exchanger section (green car antifreeze [poisonous])?
Dave
[move][/move]

Aaarrghh

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on February 25, 2019, 11:01 AM
The Atwood EHM6-SM is not a standard RV Water Heater.  It is a electric only water heater that is typically only used in Marine applications where propane is not available.  It typically has an engine heat option included. 
Gadz! I hate to throw cold water (oops, pun!) on your plans, but it sounds like you're in for a hassle, not only installing this heater but using it. It sounds like you won't be able to run it on 12v. If you can afford it, spring (oops, another one) for a new WH. I know, mine was $370, but it slipped right in place and matched the old connections, and I've had trouble-free hot water for 2 and a half years since. Newer ones have done away with the pilot light and use electric ignition, which is a great convenience, not having to go outside and light the WH.