Correct or aftermarket alternator - '69 Dodge

Started by KiwisintheUS, February 08, 2019, 02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwisintheUS

Hey there, new to the US, new to the RV life, and new to the forum. Thanks for having us!

We have recently purchased a 1969 Winnebago D22 with a dodge 318. Unfortunately we are running into some alternator issues, and after fitting two on her from o'reillys we believe the alternator that was on it could be an incorrect part .

Does anyone out here know what the original alternator would have been, and if there are any aftermarket alternators that would suit the vehicle?

Thanks in advance!
Liam & Janelle.

BamBam

Mopars that era used a round back alternator. The newer styles were square backs, either one will work.  The square backs will have 2 field terminal as where the rounds only had one. Just take a wire to the second field terminal and ground it good. This will make it work.
What makes you think you got the wrong one?
Here's some Tech info for you. Good Luck
http://dave78chieftain.com/Charging_Syste.html
http://dave78chieftain.com/Charging_TS.html

Even thought this one is geared for Imperials, don't let it fool you! It's loaded with all types of Mopar info you can use.
http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/index.htm

Preese

For what it is worth I started reviving a 69 D22 basket case a while back.  Installed a Powermaster single wire alternator, magnetic pick up distributor (so no points), and new coil.  Got rid of ballast resistor and voltage regulator.  Have read Dave's most excellent electrical related articles and think I have the wiring correct but getting ready to run her to a local alternator shop to verify.  Let me know if you want any details.  Also never trust a VIN so I have a 318 compatible magnetic distro if maybe interested.
Me & You & Winnie Lou & a dog

KiwisintheUS

Hey guys thanks for the prompt and knowledgable responses. I believe we have the correct alternator (the number on the NAPA box is 213-2003), but we are now getting too much voltage at the battery. After replacing our old original voltage regulator (that was burnt out), with a new 'Standard VR106' from NAPA, we are still getting upwards of 17 volts to the battery.

Any ideas what could be going on here??

Any info would help, we're almost losing hair we're scratching our heads so hard!!!

Preese

According to this thread, issue may be bad alternator...? They also comment regarding a bad battery...  and making sure have very good grounding...https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/putting-out-too-much-volts-at-idle-16-17-volts.99726/

Preese

PS: bought a couple cheap Amazon DC voltmeters and hooked one to my ACC side and one to Ignition side with common ground.  Should not need two but if they show way different might help with troubleshooting.  In any case, they come on when first moving the key to give me battery state and after starting get alternator charge voltage. Velcroââ,¬â,,¢d them under my dash.

voltmeters less than $5 each:

• CactusAngui DC4.5-30V LED Digital Voltmeter Voltage Panel for 6/12V Electromobile Motorcycle Red

KiwisintheUS

Hey thanks for your response again. 👍🏼

That thread is really helpful, and yes I am going to buy the service manual from this website.

I am going see if all the ground wires are in tact and try and improve the ground to the VR. I will also clean up the connections to the relay and maybe replace the lugs if they need it. Will go from there and see how we go.

Thanks again, hope your Winnebago is going well!

Preese

Hopefully you are making progress.  Replacing wires have solved a couple issues.  Whirling dervish contact cleaner sprayage fixed a backup light contact switch issue.  By the way, thought my backup light activated through a contact on the transmission (outside 2 wires) but there was no way to connect to chassis wire harness...found connection on shifter under the dash.  Important to me because planning to hook up backup camera activated by backup light circuit.  Too muck paperwork backing up by braille.

Froggy1936

Tip: On wireing back up camera if you put in a switch  You can use your camera wile driving , Checking for who,s behind you , Cant do that wired with reverse lights  Also mounting camera inside veh looking out back window will prolong life of camera .Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.