Lubricating smog/air pump?

Started by BrandonMc, January 31, 2019, 07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandonMc

Was reading a post on the smog/air pumps locking up, and causing some belt failure. These pumps are mostly unavailable nowadays, and are expensive if you can find them. Is it possible to to take the air pump apart and re-lubricate the bearings? It appears you possibly can. I live in an emissions area, so that's a consideration for keeping them. Has anyone passed emissions if the pump is perhaps still bolted on, but bypassed on the belt loop?

Warning-replace that 454 air/pollution pumpce that 454 air/pollution pump

"First time I ever needed to be towed in.   The tow truck hauled my 33' motorhome 30 miles to the Effingham truck center.   They found the pollution pump/air pump had siezed up and took out the surpentine belt and the surpentine belt took out the other fan belt.Even though our motorhome is a 1989 it only has 53,000 miles on it.   I asked the mechanic to save the old pollution pump.   Several weeks later I dismantled the old pump and found the bearings had failed."

https://www.imgoat.com/uploads/8a2fc6ed39/191652.jpg

ClydesdaleKevin

I would guess that the bearings are sealed cartridge bearings.  You might be able to find a motor repair or alternator repair shop that can replace those bearings for you...or try it yourself if you can get the old ones out and can match up some that will fit.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

Or just find someone who has already removed their pumps and is willing to donate one. It is not just the bearings but the vanes that wear and break off and jam in there. Those pumps see a lot of moisture.

tmsnyder

Personally if it ever failed and it absolutely needed to stay in place I'd turn the air pump into a idler pulley.   Gut it.  Put in new bearings and a straight shaft.  Plug the plumbing and connect it all back up so it looks factory but actually isn't doing anything except spinning the pulley on new bearings. 

Wow, even after 25 years you still have to maintain the emissions equipment?

BrandonMc

Quote from: tmsnyder on February 01, 2019, 10:52 PM
Personally if it ever failed and it absolutely needed to stay in place I'd turn the air pump into a idler pulley.   Gut it.  Put in new bearings and a straight shaft.  Plug the plumbing and connect it all back up so it looks factory but actually isn't doing anything except spinning the pulley on new bearings. 

That's actually a good idea. And yes, I wish I could put headers on. I have a set in the garage just waiting to do that one day. I'm wondering if politically, someday the whole state will make emissions a requirement. So far, my county along the rest of the front range have emissions requirements. Last time I went in for testing, it looked about as clean as my v6 truck. All the emissions controls are hooked up and I replaced with new wherever possible.

legomybago

Quote from: tmsnyder on February 01, 2019, 10:52 PM

This is what we did
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy