Need help on belt routing 1985 Chieftain 454!

Started by cujoe_da_man, January 22, 2019, 02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cujoe_da_man

Heyo, first time member here.  Looks like a nice place :D
SO!  We picked up a 1985 Winnebago Chieftain from a friend who had previously bought it from someone else (and who knows before that).  One big issue we have is that it will chew through alternator belts like they were candy, BUT that's a topic for another time.
What I need to know is what the belt routing is for this beast.  I have looked everywhere for a belt diagram, but none seem to exist for this particular setup.  Everything shows 3-4 belts and we only have two.  Here's some other info:
Engine - 454
Crank Shaft pulley has two grooves, first groove is smaller than the second.Water Pump has two grooves, first groove is smaller than the second.
Power Steering has two grooves, both grooves same size.Alternator has one groove
AC has two grooves, both grooves same size (AC is not being used)AIR pump has one groove (Also not being used)
I looked at the sticky thread here and the image there doesn't make any sense to me because it says there are three grooves to follow on the crankshaft and the diagram doesn't actually show the belts going all the way around some of the pulleys and it also doesn't show the double pulley on the AC.
I am so confused!

Rickf1985

You say the crankshaft has only two grooves? That might be why the alternator is chewing up belts. You need to get your head in there or your cell phone and take pictures of the belt alignments and see if they are straight. I am wondering if that lower pulley was changed for some reason. I don't ever recall seeing a 454 with a 2 belt lower pulley. Anything is possible though. If you are not using the air pump or the AC then how are you running the power steering belt? It would have to go from crank to power steering to water pump. I guess that is doable, never tried it. The air pump is run from the outer belt on the power steering and the inner belt would go through the crank, power steering, AC, water pump. The other side would be the crankshaft, alternator, air pump.

cujoe_da_man

I will double check the crankshaft again, but I stuck my fingers up in there and felt for the grooves, it is possible I couldn't quite find them all, but it's so frickin' cold right now, will have to wait until the sun is up again.

ClydesdaleKevin

I know you said you already glanced at them, but check out these diagrams again...and the picture.

http://classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,11119.0.html

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

tmsnyder

They sell 3 groove pulleys on Summit auto parts store for bbc engines if needed.   Maybe the motor was swapped from a 2 groove setup. 

circleD

That's the diagram that I was going to show him Kev :)clap . I will tell you that when I took off my A.I.R. pump on the passenger side I started to have issues with my alternator belt getting torn up from misalignment. I put everything back like it was but I probably forgot a washer or something. So check the little things.