Remote battery waterers?

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, January 15, 2019, 08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Hey guys.  Anyone have any experience with remote battery waterers?  I have a huge dead space in the front of our diesel pusher, where I am sure I can install a battery tray and 4 more deep cycle batteries if I decide to...but in order to access the area, I would have to remove the whole front nose clip.  Which would make checking the water in the batteries pretty inconvenient to say the least.

I remember in my research for the batteries and solar array in the old Holiday Rambler that they make remote battery fillers...basically caps with hoses on them that replace the caps on the batteries, and you keep the batteries topped off that way.  Anyone ever use those before, and do they work well?

Thanks!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

I have no experience with them but a couple things to think about. Probably the reason there is nothing there is weight concerns. Otherwise the manufacturer would have put the batteries there. That front axle is probably pretty close to maxed out on weight, you might want to hit a CAT scale first and see just what and where all your weight is. Something else to consider in the same line of thought is the lithium iron batteries. I believe they are a lot lighter than the deep cycle batteries and also deliver full 12 volts right to the dead point. Albeit they are substantially more expensive. And last but not least, there is a reason I mention this last. In an accident anything in the front will get smashed and all that battery power will go up in smoke and flames. What could have been a minor accident bodywise could turn into a major fire and electrical disaster.  I know that is sort of something you think will never happen but remember, I used to drive a heavy wrecker and I have seen my share of them. It does happen. And the passenger has no door.

ClydesdaleKevin

Good insight Rick.  It is just a thought, and I'll post a picture later of the proposed possible battery location.  It is just a thought for the future.  I'm going to replace the two coach batteries (they are two of the old ones from the Holiday Rambler that were already on their way out, but were better than the single regular battery that was in here when we bought it) with the best 6 volt batteries I can find (probably Trojans) that have the highest amp hours, and see how long they last me on a charge.  If they are sufficient to our needs, then there won't be a reason for more batteries.  But if we need more, that front area is the only conceivable place to put more batteries, which is why I am asking about the remote waterers. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Preese

Neighbor installed QWIK-FILL squeeze bottle system to fill his boat batteries.  Loves it!...only downside is that his wife is a bit jealous... W%
Me & You & Winnie Lou & a dog

ClydesdaleKevin

Here is my proposed location, in the front nose area, over the spare tire winch.  I'm sure I could have a 4 battery tray fabricated that could be welded or bolted in over the spare tire...but to install it and the batteries, the whole nose cone would have to come off...thus the reason I was asking about remote battery waterers.

Kev